1983 Mercury 25 HP Tillotson Carb with enrichment valve piston stuck

w2much

Lieutenant
Engine will not run unless fuel sprayed into the carb so I purchased a rebuild kit. I notices that the primer plunger of the enrichment valve was stuck in the down position. It prevents me from using a screwdriver to remove the enrichment valve assembly. I read the manual for rebuilding the carb and it had scant info on the enrichment valve other than to remove it and install the new parts. So I am stuck at step one, removing the enrichment valve. I am not familiar with this type of carb so any help is appreciated.

w2much

Lieutenant
Mercury 25 HP engines 5705532 thru 6416712
Electric start remote control

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Been a while since I have seen that carb but are you sure the that piston moves. Some of them just have the flapper cover the hole for the choking process.

w2much

Lieutenant
No, I am not certain. Although pictures I have seen posted here in this forum show the little piston or whatever it is in the up position protruding above the surface of the enrichment valve by about an 1/8 of an inch. I took or take for granted that this moves up and down and that the flapper action is the moving mechanism . In any case I would think it would need to be removed to soak the carb body for a thorough cleaning. The rebuild kit has a new spring included so either way I need to remove the enrichment valve.
All replies appreciated.

w2much

Lieutenant
Flyingscott, The carb pictures posted by 25HP Mercury are the same carb as mine.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Get a split screw driver or grind a notch in a cheap one to fit around the top of the primer piston. That way you should be able to get the screw out.