Best place to adjust carbs - on the trailer at the ramp?

SoCalBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Guys-

I just finished a carb rebuild and I'm about to get on with the final adjustments. As you all know, the engine is supposed to be in the water and running in gear. How in the world am I supposed to reach around the back of the engine to where the carbs are? It seem like the best way to pull this off is to either do it with the boat still on the trailer or back into a slip and tie it off. (I'm just talking about idle speed and mixture adjustments. If anyone has ideas for how to pull off the WOT timing advance, I'd like to hear that, too!)

Thanks so much!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Which engine has the carbs at the back of the engine?

Checking Maximum Timing Advance can be done at cranking speed, with the spark plugs removed and grounded. Check the service manual for specs. Some ignition systems electronically retard the timing as rpm increase so that has to be taken into account. and two specs might be given, one for WOT on a dyno and one for setting at cranking speed. There are ways to set/check timing without even running the engine

SoCalBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oh my goodness. I'm an idiot. I don't know how I got that in my head. I guess because it's on the far side when I'm standing in the driveway behind the boat... it will be easier from inside the boat!

Anyway, do you guys just putter around the lake while you do this or do you keep it stationary somewhere?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If the dock is a sturdy one, idle adjustments can be done while tied to it. However, if during your adjusting, someone is injured or the dock is damaged you may be Liable. Putting around aimlessly while fiddling with the engine also has so dangers and liabilities... Most adjustments can be made with the engine in a big enough barrel where it can be put in gear(with a prop) so it is under load. I have never seen anyone setting/checking WOT timing sitting on/in the splash well bouncing in the waves. My guess is they would try using the flywheel as a push point to get back in the boat.

Is your boat a Crestliner crusader 550?

Last edited:

SoCalBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Jimbo- thanks for the tips. Sounds like I'm in the market for a big bucket. The boat is an '87 Larson DC-150. It's been a fun little first boat.

SoCalBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Wow - very similar indeed!

Attachments

• photo251935.jpg
    photo251935.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The water will leave the bucket in a heartbeat if you run it in gear in it. Even my little 4Hp outboard will kick all the water out of a bucket if you put it in gear.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The easiest way to set the carbs is to have someone steer while you adjust them, on the water, in gear. You should only need to set idle mixture adjustment like that, on most outboards.

​Of course, my old Johnson needed high speed carb jets set at full throttle. . Now that was a trip......