Changing Merc 90hp 4 Stroke driveshaft seal

Willhound

Cadet
While recently changing the water pump impeller on my 2011 90 HP Merc 4-Stroke I noticed some wear from the upper seal on the top end of the driveshaft. Area is just a few inches below the upper spline on the shaft. You can just barely feel the ridge with your thumbnail.
Asked at a local Merc dealer about how involved a job to at the very least change out the seal, and even possibly the shaft if necessary.
He related that he had never had to change one of those seals, and wasn't sure if it might not require pulling the entire power head off......
That sounded odd to me. Is it really that difficult? Costly fix?

Attachments

• photo254515.jpg
    photo254515.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 0

Willhound

Cadet
No Title

Pretty sure. With the foot off, if you shine a light up towards the bottom of the powerhead where the spline on the drive shaft engages, you can see it. You can also feel it as you feed the driveshaft back up into place when replacing the foot. 17 on the schematic I think?

Attachments

• photo254545.jpg
    photo254545.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0

Willhound

Cadet
No Title

Don't know if this is any better. Closer but taken on other side of shaft. Groove is not as evident in this one.

Attachments

• photo254554.jpg
    photo254554.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You would think that a groove from wear would be the same all around.-------Any chance that this groove is an imperfection from a manufacturing process ?-----Is the top of the shaft chrome plated ?-----I am not there to look at this first hand.-----So questions need answers.

Willhound

Cadet
"You would think that a groove from wear would be the same all around" - I agree...part of what is baffling me. Can't see it being a manufacturing defect, it's the only mark on the entire shaft, and would be a huge coincidence if the only imperfection happened to be where the shaft sits in the seal. The top of the shaft is splined, can't tell if plated or not.

Willhound

Cadet
Anybody else have any experience changing out this seal, or seen this kind of mark on the upper driveshaft? Am I worrying about nothing??