Picked up an 87 115 "Tower O Power" for $600 - Advice/info appreciated!

TchDwnUGA

Cadet
Hi!

I joined the forum a few months back when I bought my 85 Dixie 17ft runabout with a seized 1985 75hp Mercury. Long story short, I got the engine unseized and was able to take it out a few times. Got the boat up to 32mph with me+1 and 28 with 5 onboard. Didn't really idle too well, but ran great once at WOT. I suspect that there is still water/sediment in the tank and am working to get that cleaned out.

In the meantime, I've kept an eye open for another engine to put on it. I think I found exactly what i was looking for. My boat is rated up to a 115 and I just so happened to find someone selling a 1987 Astroglass 17ft bass boat with the original 87 Mercury 115 on it. The engine was what was primarily being sold, just still attached to the boat. Boat is a little to far gone for me to actually put much effort into, but the engine seems to be in good shape. Was told it was "tuned up" before the teardown of the boat began. I have literally all the paperwork on the boat/motor from when it was purchased new locally. Engine is very clean under the cowl and the plugs are brand new. Compression on the top 5 cylinders ranges from 120-130 and it did fire off when i sprayed a bit of fuel/oil mix in the carbs. I paid $600 for the Astroglass and the 115. Guy threw in 2 brand new deep cycle batteries as well.

P/O said that the gas in the tank was suspect, so i haven't tried to start it off of that tank. Planning on getting a removable tank to see how she runs. Before I get to that, I want to go ahead and replace the impeller and the lower unit oil. I haven't been able to find exactly which impeller kit i'll need. Also, what is the recommended lower unit fluid for these? Seems to have a brand new prop on it and 1 of the coil packs looks to have been changed (it's a different color).

From my brief reading about the "Tower of Power", this is the best year? It says "Oil injection", but i don't see any oil tank where it would be stored. What would I look for to see if it's been bypassed? I have the original owners manual for the engine, but haven't looked through it yet.

I'm planning on swapping this out with my 75 thats currently on my boat, and put the 75 on this Astroglass and sell it for enough to cover what i have in it. Should I swap the controls as well, or just use what's already on my boat? Controls look to be the same and both are in similar shape (good). Any thing i should certainly do to the 115 before I put it on my other boat?

Thanks for looking and any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• photo254430.jpg
    photo254430.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo254432.jpg
    photo254432.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You will notice a big difference in hole shot as you are going from 66.6 cu inch to 99.8 cu in, a 50% increase, The 115 will burn less gas when going the same speed as the 75 did at WOT. Controls are the same, the 75hp looks like either a 1984 or 1085 and a lot of parts are the same. Gear ratio is different, 2.3:1 on the 75 and 2:1 on the 115.

TchDwnUGA

Cadet

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Here is a Autoblend..you do not want to use this if still in boat. Run 50:1 mix...

auto.jpg

TchDwnUGA

Cadet
No Title

Well, got around to tinkering with it today! The autoblend has been removed. I went out and grabbed a 3 gallon portable tank and got it rigged up. After I compression tested the engine I pulled the plugs and poured some Kreen into each cylinder just to soak for a few days. After I removed the Kreen from the cylinders i went ahead and tried to start it on the fresh gas (I did 50/1). Put the muffs on and primed the ball. Fired off almost immediately. I noticed about 25 seconds in that it still wasn't pumping water, so I shut it off. I suspect that the impeller needs replacement.

I was planning on changing it anyways, so no biggie there. I'm going to be taking both boats to my mechanic this weekend and have him swap the engines. I'll have him do the impeller and the lower unit oil while he has it.

Definitely feeling good about my purchase based on how it seemed to be running in its brief moment of glory!

Attachments

• photo254812.jpg
    photo254812.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo254813.jpg
    photo254813.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo254814.jpg
    photo254814.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo254815.jpg
    photo254815.jpg