ignition coil connections

carldusky

Recruit
My 2010 Mercury 50 hp outboard 4 cycle EFI has the following ignition coils (top to bottom) to cylinder connections (presuming the cylinder designations 1,2,3,4 are top to bottom also): 2,3,1 & 4.
How does one go about verifying they are correct.The service manual for that year ??

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard carldusky. Great to have you join us...

I don't know the proper designation of cylinders for your engine but that sound logical to me. I am certain others will verify how it actually goes. Having said that, they is no better information source then the actual factory year, model, HP and serial numbered shop manual for your engine. Anything you would even want to know will be in that manual. Don't buy the aftermarket types because they just don't cover things you would like to know about. JMHO

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard carldusky. Great to have you join us...

I don't know the proper designation of cylinders for your engine but that sound logical to me. I am certain others will verify how it actually goes. Having said that, they is no better information source then the actual factory year, model, HP and serial numbered shop manual for your engine. Anything you would even want to know will be in that manual. Don't buy the aftermarket types because they just don't cover things you would like to know about. JMHO

With my latest engine, a 2002 90 Merc, I had the OEM manual and later bought the Seloc from this site......actually rented www time for an immediate copy. I found the Seloc to be better in some instances in explaining things via increased pictures and clearer (pictures worth a thousand words). I don't specifically remember the specs as I didn't need to access them. However, if they covered processes as thoroughly as they did, why would they skimp on the rest of it?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
With my latest engine, a 2002 90 Merc, I had the OEM manual and later bought the Seloc from this site......actually rented www time for an immediate copy. I found the Seloc to be better in some instances in explaining things via increased pictures and clearer (pictures worth a thousand words). I don't specifically remember the specs as I didn't need to access them. However, if they covered processes as thoroughly as they did, why would they skimp on the rest of it?

I have both Selco and Haynes manuals for vehicles and also the actual shop manuals for the same vehicles. I usually buy shop manuals for all the vehicles I own. And I can tell you the factory shop manuals are light years ahead of the aftermarket versions. Too many time the aftermarket versions tries to cover so many models that they don't cover the detailed sections about things I want to know. But any manual is way better then nothing. I also have the manufacture's shop manual for my OB and it is amazing to see and read the assembly and disassembly of everything with explodes views, and even theory of operation and explanations of how things actually work. And they also have schematic diagrams and wiring lists as well all the way down to the wire gauges, part numbers and colors used as well. So that is what I based my opinion on, my own personal knowledge. Bu as usual, it is only my opinion. Absolutely no disrespect offered to anyone by no means. :noidea:

carldusky

Recruit
Thank you gm280. I did buy a manual several years ago but it is probably a 2008 year vintage. I'm quite sure I will be purchasing a 2010 yr manual that should better answer my question as well as perhaps others.