2.5 Powerhead Questions

impala-joe

Recruit
New to the forum, I have a 2001 SeaDoo Utopia with 2.5 liter 2 cycle 210 hp carbed powerhead. It has a broken rod and a hole in block about 4 inches in diameter, toast. Dealers will sell me the replacement powerhead complete or just the block and base. They do this based on the serial number listed on the powerhead. From this information I can determine the part number (casting number) of the block and base. But that's all they can tell me. So much for history, Here's my question, There are many 2.5 liter casting numbers. Which casting numbers will interchange with my casting number 858257T13 upper and 858257T26 lower base. I can find block casting for sale but can't tell if they will interchange. I would like to rebuild this powerhead myself but need interchange numbers. Also are there other than 2.5 powerhead that will fit into my boat. say a 3.0 liter or other, perhaps a 150 hp powerhead. Looking for ideas, thanks for your help,:)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
impala-joe

This is your new thread after moving this post out of an old thread. Take a look at the Help Tip on top of the page about posting in old threads. Thanks.

Welcome aboard.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
What are you calling a lower base? your have a sport jet and it the same engine as a outboard except crank. Tear yours down as you may need long block if crank is damaged

impala-joe

Recruit
Mercury Marine 2.5

I have a 2.5 liter block that needs to be replaced, part number 884-858257T26 or 884-858257T13. Does anyone know if part umber 884-828340C3 is interchangeable as a replacement block? or do you know of other part numbers that might interchange? motor came from 2001 Sea Doo Utopia, broken rod, hole, in block. Thanks for your help

GA_Boater

Are you looking for a block or powerhead?

Chances are you need more than a block.

Also moved this out of the Mercruiser section, this is an outboard based SportJet.

impala-joe

Recruit
I'm looking for a block. there are a lot of 2.5 liter block casting numbers out there. I'm trying to find out what casting number would work (interchange), even if there are slight HP differences. There must be a way fix one of these engines without throwing money at it. But so fare I can tell the differences in block configurations.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
No not all 2.5 blocks are the same. Casting numbers wont tell ya much as a 150 block looks like a 200hp block unless you know what to look for. Since it crapped a rod you need to check and see if crank is damaged as these are specific to sport jets only. You also going to need rod bearings piston and possible head. May be cheaper to replace as short block.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remanufactur...OxXjcBoLlpJwmC OLQR8m6A&vxp=mtr

GA_Boater

Impala - Merged your two threads. This is starting to get confusing with replies in both threads.

Have you torn the motor down to see what you need? A block for sure, a rod and most likely a piston. Also very possibly a crankshaft.

Part number 884-858257T26 or 884-858257T13 - These are both 210 HP SportJet replacement powerheads, T13 is superceded by T26. The lower base thing is confusing.

Can't find this number - 884-828340C3

iBOATS carries re-manufactured SportJet powerheads. http://www.boatmotors.com/motorpart...pe=outboard&part=101&manufacturer=3&year=2001

impala-joe

Recruit
Thanks for the reply's, motor will be out this coming week. After that I should be able to tell if the crank is good or not. I have found a powerhead for $2,345 delivered, my goal was to repurpose what I have for $1,000 give or take. To do this one must be resourceful. buying new or rebuilt from a dealer will not work. There are blocks on e-bay but I'm still having trouble telling what will work??? I've got all winter to find a block. Thanks again

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I just looked on sleazebay and only seen one block and it needs work and asking $500 too much for it. Need to get it apart and see what ya need as a used crank will set ya back a grand on these motors. When ya buy a used block you don't know what your getting unless it local and you can look at it. The 2.5 has known problems for sleeves to rotate and if you buy one that needs machine work such as boring there is no way to repair it under $1000.