TILT/TRIM PROBLEM

Heard a whining noise coming from my boat. Noticed the engine was tilted all the way up, and tilt motor still running. I hit the tilt rocker switch located on the 115 hp Mercury motor, and tilt motor continued to run, trying to go up more. I then hit the tilt rocker switch at the drivers console to the down position, and the tilt motor stopped, and started down. Then, both rocker switches operated normal. About 5 minutes later, without being commanded, the Mercury motor started tilting up again, all the way, and continued to run. I stopped it again by using the console rocker switch, and disconnected the battery so the tilt motor would not burn up. Is the relay bad or could it be the switch, or something else???

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Post your engine serial number and model year if you can to help determine exactly which model of Mercury you got. I would start to isolate the problem though when it is happening to determine where the issue is. Disconnect the switch at the engine side as it is easy to access and see if the problem persist....if it does disconnect at the switch from the throttle handle and diagnose from there.The trim systems on the OB motors are fairly straight forward.