Tilt/trim relay on 115 mercury outboard

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Not 1, 2 identical side by side. One has power and ground plus light green with white stripe wires for down relay....grass is green. The other (up relay) has power and light blue with white stripe (or no stripes) for the up relay....sky is blue. Starboard side on my 2002, just above the control wiring harness connector on the metal plate where most electrical things are located.....about 1 ? by 2" as I recall.

Thanks Texasmark. Found them. Mine are under an access cover that also covers the coils. My problem was the tilt was going up as far as it would go, and the tilt motor was continuing to run, all unattended and without command. I disconnected the battery to get it to stop, as the remote rocker switch on the main motor would not stop the tilt motor. At first I thought it might be one of the tilt/trim rocker switches, but decided it was probably the "up" relay. Do you agree the problem is likely the relay?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Texasmark. Found them. Mine are under an access cover that also covers the coils. My problem was the tilt was going up as far as it would go, and the tilt motor was continuing to run, all unattended and without command. I disconnected the battery to get it to stop, as the remote rocker switch on the main motor would not stop the tilt motor. At first I thought it might be one of the tilt/trim rocker switches, but decided it was probably the "up" relay. Do you agree the problem is likely the relay?

Welded contacts internally. Change both while you are at it. Common problem on solenoids, comes with age, pitting the mating surfaces which reduces the surface area of the contact and after awhile they just get hot and weld themselves together.

Dukedog

Captain
does one of tha rocker switches work trim as it should?.. disconnect them (switches) one at a time and check operation of tha other... bad relay will stick with either one operating.. bad switch will stick when only it is operated.... common for tha motor switch/bow switch (if ya have one) ta get water in it and go south....