2002 Mercury 40ML S/N 0T571959

Racerxv6

Cadet
I am installing a Farier OB tach on my boat which has never had one. my question resides around which wire to plug into coming off the stator since I don't have electric start and no solenoid or rectifier. I read a previous post from which Gerry responded about plugging into one of the yellow wires coming from the stator....if that is true, my next question is, since I don't have a true ignition "key start" I pull but must have the key in the one position. can I use a simple toggle switch for 12V to the tach?

Any and all commebts welcome, especially fro Gerry.....Mariner Admiral

Racerxv6

Cadet
If anyone comes across this and has any knowledge of how I can begin to validate that I have everything hooked up correctly, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
It it doesn't have a stator with charge coil you cannot hook up a tach

Racerxv6

Cadet
Fatzbullet,

Do both the 9amp and 16amp stators come with the yellow/red wires? is there a way to tell them apart? If so, does that mean that they have the charging coil? I purchased the voltage regulator/rectifier and am waiting for it to arrive. That is one part I know is required to convert the AC into DC.

Racerxv6

Cadet
Installed new voltage regulator/rectifier. At idle it reads 500-600, When reving it bottoms out at 0...any idea, the two red leads on the rectifier, does it matter which one is the 12V in and 12V out to ignition?

Racerxv6

Cadet
I have the wiring down correctly as I found documentation for the red in and red out on the rectifier. My problem still exists though. The tach when reving the motor goes back to zero. I have tried several settings and the tach changes it location at idle, but whenever rev'd, it goes back to zero.:facepalm:

anyone !!! :cold:

Racerxv6

Cadet
Would jjust like everyone to know that I rectified my own problem. The rectifier i bought had faulty crimps on the bullet leads for the stator connections. Once I removed them and crimped on new leads, Tach worked as expected.