What is this part?

ghorn

Recruit
I am missing the gray plug see in this photo. Can anyone tell me its name so I can order one. It is on a Mercury 90hp. Is it necessary .

Attachments

• photo253136.jpg
    photo253136.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The plug covers the bolt the holds the anode fin on. I'm surprised you found a picture of one, most go missing in service and aren't needed. It is cosmetic thing, not a functional thing.

If you are ordering other parts, add it to the order to save shipping cost. Shipping on the plug costs more than the plug.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Heck I didn't even know they came with one snapped in. :noidea:

ghorn

Recruit
Went missing while getting some warranty work done. Thought it would be cheaper to order than drive an hour to the dealer. If it isn't required I won't bother. Thanks for the reply.

Fun Times

Staff member
Went missing while getting some warranty work done. Thought it would be cheaper to order than drive an hour to the dealer. If it isn't required I won't bother. Thanks for the reply.
If you have little kids that like to stick their fingers into open holes, then the cap might be a good idea to have...Maybe call the dealer and have them mail one to your home. If interested, post the engines serial number to see if the part number can be located.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah it's basically the anode screw access plug and it's a pita to find on the parts schematic. It's usually listed with the lower cowl.

ghorn

Recruit
A pita to find for sure. Engine S/N 2b153533. Who would be best to order from. Can't depend my dealer to follow through.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
I would go back to the dealer and ask them to order it in for you. (97-8m0074531) some dealers use merc class numbers some don't. If you don't want to deal with that particular dealer just go onto Mercurymarine.com and look for another dealer in your area.