1995-98 Mercury 200 outboard power head removal issues

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I purchased a 1995 parts motor to repair my 1998 (seems the parts I need match), both used in salt water exclusively. I am disassembling the parts motor now and experiencing the typical corrosion and oxidation issues. At this point I am trying to remove the power head. I am pretty sure I have all the bolts and nuts out, off or loose but nothing is separating. I mean not even the slightest gap between the power head and spacer or spacer and mid section, its not moving, like there are still bolts in place. The three bolts on the carb side that pass thru the spacer and thread into the mid section are loose and free so its not those. I suspect the 4 studs that thread into the power head and pass thru the spacer and mid section are locked in with oxidation to either or both. After working off the back of my truck with no luck I hung it by the mid section from a tree to use the weight of the power head to my advantage. I heated the areas of the spacer and mid section where the studs pass and whaled on the studs but still no movement. Any thoughts?

I will try and post some pictures tonight. Sad part is I will have to go thru the same process with my motor to put these parts on (not looking forward to that). At least I have this one to learn by.

James R

Commander
This is why salt water motors are generally considered scrap when the get on in years. The Aluminum dissipates heat so quickly that it is almost impossible to get enough heat on. Destroying the casings to get at good innards is usually the only way. Look for a good fresh water motor would be my suggestion.
Sorry I can't be more optimistic.

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Your right, just for the next guy that might run across this. The problem was that the 4 long studs that pass thru the mid section were locked into the midsection with oxidation. I wound up drilling thru the studs from the side of one of the thinner spacers (not sure what they call it) between the mid section and the power head to effectively cut the studs. I think I can get the studs out and save the mid section. Due to the difficulty I am not sure if I will tackle my motor or not but I now know exactly what I am up against so whatever I do will just call this a learning experience.

Attachments

• photo254057.jpg
    photo254057.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo254058.jpg
    photo254058.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo254059.jpg
    photo254059.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo254060.JPG
    photo254060.JPG