repairing scratches on my 75HP lower unit

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
We hit an unmarked obstruction last weekend and scratched up my lower unit on my Merc 75 HP 4 stoke . Looks like I have to replace the propeller other than that the repair's are cosmetic. I'd like to repair the scratches on the skeg and other parts of lower unit. Any suggestions I cannot seem to find any threads on scratch repair.

Thx

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Mercury has a detailed repair procedure in the manual. Problem there is adherence of the new paint due to the water pressure acting on the lower unit. One thing is a must.....it has to have time to thoroughly dry.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Scuff with scotchbrite, zinc dichromate primer, mercury phantom black paint

DavidMoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The paints you will be using are dangerous, please get the safety sheets and follow them.

James R

Commander
I have tried various fillers for deep marks and have been successful using Aluminum type JB weld as a filler. Remove all paint in the marks a clean thoroughly finishing with alcohol, your reference, mine is Scotch, Rubbing down is the critical aspect to get a good blend. Paint as you wish. I usually paint the whole lower unit and use two part, color and clearcoat.