1995 MERCURY 60 hp Dropping Voltage

glassjeg6

Cadet
Motor started out all of a sudden it would not crank.Checked things and had no spark on any of the 3 cylinders.Replaced ignition switch and started getting spark but still will not crank.Boat is getting 12.5 volts at ignition switch and 12.5 volts at solenoid but as soon as you turn key to crank it the voltage drops to 9 volts immediately.You can hear the relay click but the motor does not try to crank.If you take a jumper and jump from the solenoid to the starter it spins over like it should.Some help from the gurus as what else to check would be appreciated.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Have your battery load tested. It should be tested with a 150 amp load and terminal voltage should be at least 11v. If not charge it and try again. If not get a new battery.............all in addition to what scott said. You need 10v at the starter for a good snappy start. 1 volt drop at 150 amps really doesn't allow for any resistance in the hook up wiring.

glassjeg6

Cadet
I replaced the solenoid yesterday and now the motor turns over like it should.I have replaced the ignition switch and solenoid.The only problem is even though it turns over like it should I have no spark at all on any of the 3 cylinders.This thing is starting to get on my nerves.Does anyone have any pointers on the no spark issue. Thanks for the help.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The ignition switch grounds triggers in the off position. It's the black/yellow stripe wire [or the yellow/black stripe wire, forget which.....one kills triggers the other goes to your fuel enhancement relay which gets power (not ground) when you push in on the key for priming]. If that wire is shorted to ground (battery -), control box switch wiring/switch/switch hookup would be suspected, you get no triggers to any cylinder.

James R

Commander
Take the cover off the electrics box in the motor. That the cover on the right side of the motor, Find the black/yellow wire that goes into the power pack and disconnect it. If you now get a spark, that wire is shorted to ground somewhere. That will take a bit of finding. If still no spark then there is a whole bunch of tests to do. Go to CDI electronics on the net and plug in your motor for the instructions.

glassjeg6

Cadet
Just wanted to update this in case someone else has the problem and it may help them.I ended up replacing the ignition switch,relay,and after testing the stator and trigger and they checked out I replaced the switch box.I now have fire to all cylinders and it cranks up with no trouble.