Need help locating carburetor for 40hp Mariner

c-dubb

Seaman
I have a 40hp Mariner that my mechanic says I need to find a replacement carb for. The carb is no longer available and I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction to locate a new or used one. The one I need is a Walboro #6517A62. Thanks for any help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
unless your carburetor is physically damaged, most of the time you simply need to rebuild it. however most outboard mechanics do not want a "come back" so they install new vs rebuilding. I personally would simply buy floats and a carb kit and rebuild what you have.

however if you really want to spend $250 on a new carb, they are available. have you tried doing a google search for the part number?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Walb...utf-8&oe=utf-8

BLKBEARD

Cadet
You can check EBAY for a NEW OLD STOCK Carb. if there are none you can put a email alert on ebay when one is listed. also there are places that specialize in carb re-builds if you don't feel confident to tackle it yourself. You mail them your carb, they rebuild it and mail it back. Hope this helps

c-dubb

Seaman
The carb in question is supposedly the wrong carb for the motor. The mechanic noticed that it even had different sized jets in it. They are saying that the correct jets wont even screw into the place where they go. All that being said, the threads for the bolt that holds the float bowl together is stripped out. I have done a google search and found two places that said "in stock". I called the first place and they did not. I still need to call the second place though. I am hoping to find a used one that can be rebuilt, but i will take a new one too.

Fun Times

Staff member

c-dubb

Seaman
I'm not sure it's really a 40hp, that is just what is on the cowl. When I was looking for parts by the serial number, I did notice it kept coming up as 45/50hp. either way, looks like I'm going to have a hard time finding one. Hopefully someone here knows where to find one.

c-dubb

Seaman
Ok, found out this weekend that it is in fact a 50hp. Same problem though, need a carb.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry I'm kind of late to the party. Check your inbox c-dubb. I'll poke around see if I can come up with any leads on used.

~Yeg