2007 Merc EFI Diagnostics Reading 426 Degree Lake Temp?

RedTail8

Cadet
Hi Folks - so after I figured out the diagnostics port I was able to run the software and faultcodes are tripping. The Diacom software doesn't seem to list the specific part, but lists some info the sensors are picking up it looks like. Looks like it's reading the lake temp at 426 degrees. I've changed the engine block temp sensor and the mechanic I originally had taken it to had said it was the expensive air intake sensor reading high. I reset the fault codes and still the same fault is tripping again. Engine is off sitting in my garage and has been for a week. Is there another temp sensor? Or something else completely?

There seem to be different "modules" that store this data too. The fault is always tripping for the "FUEL LVL CKT HI" section. I don't have a manual yet so not sure what that means if anything.

Current ECM Codes

Misc Fault, click Read Fault button for details

Freeze Frame Data:

0 FUEL LVL CKT HI
--------------------------------------------------------------------
FF Baro Pressure 14.16 PSI
FF Battery Volts 12.33 VDC
FF Sea Pump Pressure 0.00 PSI
FF Boat Speed 0.00 #
FF Manifold Air Temp 68.00 ?F
FF Coolant Temp 64.40 ?F
FF Demand 0.16 %
FF Engine Speed 0 RPM
FF Engine State Stall
FF FPC Total 0.0 Counts
FF Frequency Count 1
FF Fuel Level 0.00 %
FF Gear Position Neutral
FF Lake Temp 426.20 ?F
FF Engine Load 0.00 %
FF Main Pwr Relay Requests NO
FF Manifold Air Pressure 14.18 PSI
FF Oil Level 0.00 %
FF Port Tab Pos 0.00 %
FF Available Power 10 %
FF Run Time 337.67 hrs
FF Starboard Tab Pos 0.00 %
FF TPS Percent 0.16 %
FF Trim Position 100.00 %

Thanks,
Marc

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Haven't you heard of global warming? LOL

The motor is not running and hooking up muffs or using a barrel might show different readings for lake temp.

Fun Times

Staff member
Actually on your 2007 Merc 115 EFI, all but two of those readings/faults appear normal unless any one them faults are actually connected to a sensor which 96% of the time they are not. Lake temp at 496 degree reading is normal for a default reading when the wire harness connector for the actual lake water temp is not connected. Typically the lake water temp sensor would be mounted to the boat's hull...Not to the engine or engine sensor as it would have to be mounted low on the lower unit area of the outboard in order to monitor the body of water temperature. While you will always read a fault code due to the sensor not connected, the ECM is designed to ignore it as for warning horns going of unless the sensor is truly connected and has actually failed, then you may get the warning from it and or a signal should you be connected to the smartcraft/gauge system..Same goes with the fuel levels, and a few others we're use to seeing on I/O's too.

The two things that appear wrong that you may need to focus on is Available Power being (reading?) 10%....It should be at 100% unless that's a misprint on your end?

The other I "believe" the Main Pwr Relay Requests saying NO should be YES or ON with the key turned on....Again I believe. It should be changing just don't recall at the moment with just key on or actually engine running. Keep an eye on those two things in your testing's.

If the main power relay isn't functioning, be sure to check all the engine fuses.

What does the engine seem to be doing or not doing?

RedTail8

Cadet
After searching the internet further last night I was starting to get the feeling the 426 lake temp might not mean anything either. I don't have any external sensors on my hull and none on my motor I know about. Thanks for the confirmation on that.

The 10% Available Power isn't a misprint. I copy and pasted the diagnostics read-out so what you see is what it had said.

I'm not a trained mechanic yet. Working through this I might be close after. I don't know where to start looking with the Power Relay issue or Available Power. I have a couple manuals coming soon. For checking the fuses I believe I know where those are at on the rear starboard side of the motor.

For what the engine is doing. Last time I had it out was basically testing it after the new air intake sensor was put in. I would floor the acceleration to get it out of the hole and to cruising speed but acceleration was extremely bogged down. The motor also seemed to have a little bit of a shudder as it was trying to get up to speed. After accelerating it wouldn't get to top speed either. Only about 4000 RPM and 26-27mph when before top speed was 36-37mph. I knew something was wrong so stopped the boat, but left it idling. The alarm went on beeping 4 times. Even at idle it runs a little rougher now too. Still left it idling, 4 beeps maybe a couple mins later. I needed to get back to the launch so tried putting it into gear hoping it'd allow me 2000 rpm, but it didn't, ran rougher yet, then died.

I thought it was overheating, and so did a couple mechanics I've talked to. So far impeller and thermostat have been replaced. The engine block temp sensor next to the thermostat. The air intake sensor has been replaced too. Couple other miscellaneous parts. Thought it was maybe an issue with the injectors to so took those off and flushed them (actuated them at the same time) pushing carb cleaner through them. None seems noticeably clogged and all spray very well to my untrained eye. O-rings on them are seemingly fine with no wear. Was starting to wonder if it's a fuel pump/fuel delivery issue with the bogged down acceleration.

I was going to bring it to a lake tonight and hook up the diagnostics software while it was in the water and the alarm going off too as I've heard that can make a difference in the diagnostics reading.

Any other suggestions for what to look at would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

RedTail8

Cadet
2007 Merc 115 4S EFI - Diagnostics with Fault Codes

Hi Folks - sorry if I'm a pest but hoping to figure out what's going on. I ran the motor in the lake tonight so I could pull some codes while it was running and the alarm was going off. Below are the findings. As mentioned it's curious the Available Power is only 10% in a couple of the readings. Any suggestions on what to look at would be appreciated. Still waiting on the actual Merc shop manual. Got the Seloc manual but not sure that's going to help with fault codes.

If needed here's what the motor is doing. Last time I had it out actually trying to run it I was testing the air intake temp sensor a mechanic said was the issue. I would put the handle all the way down to accelerate but acceleration was extremely bogged down. The motor only got up to about 4000 rpm and a speed of about 26mph. Top speed is typically about 37mph. After I noticed an issue I stopped the boat but left it idling. After idling about a minute the alarm sounded 4 times. It was also running rough. After a couple mins of the first alarm it sounded again 4 times. I turned it off and restarted it with still a rougher idle. I tried to put it in gear to see if it would get me back to the launch and it ran really rough then died.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks...

1. VEHICLE CONFIGURATION

Cust. Name:
Engine Make:
Engine Serial No:
Model Year:
System Type: Mercury 4 Stroke Smartcraft ECM

2. PERFORMANCE DATA

Parameter Description Value Unit

Engine Speed........................................ 712 RPM
Engine Load....................................... 25.61 %
Throttle Percent................................... 0.33 %
Available Power..................................... 100 %
TPS 1 Voltage...................................... 0.79 VDC
Demand............................................. 0.33 %
Manifold Absolute Pressure......................... 6.44 PSI
Power Limit Setpoint................................ 100 %
Baro Pressure..................................... 14.21 PSI
Block Coolant Temperature........................ 120.20 ?F
Battery Voltage................................... 14.32 VDC
Intake Air Temperature............................ 69.80 ?F
Sensor Power....................................... 4.98 VDC
Fuel Per Cylinder.................................. 0.00 mg
IAC Duty Cycle.................................... 35.32 %
Fuel Flow Rate..................................... 0.34 GPH
Spark Advance..................................... -3.44 DEG
Trigger Errors........................................ 0 #
Guardian Cause............................ Not Specified
Oil Pressure...................................... 66.00 PSI
Shift Position.................................. Neutral
Coolant Temperature............................... 32.00 ?F
Lift Pump On Time.................................. 0.00 Seconds
FSM Level Switch.................................... LOW
Vent Switch......................................... LOW
Vent Canister Purge Valve.......................... OPEN
Vent Caniser Percent.............................. 60.02 %
Calculated Fuel Mass.............................. 44.68 g

3. TROUBLE CODE STATUS

Current ECM Codes

Ignition Fault, click Read Fault button for details
Sensor Fault, click Read Fault button for details
Misc Fault, click Read Fault button for details

Trouble Code List:
ECM_TRIG2 SHORT Code is active
ECM_TRIG2 OPEN Code is active
FUEL LVL CKT HI Code is active
LIFT PUMP TIMER Code is active

Freeze Frame Data:

0 ECM_TRIG2 OPEN
FF Baro Pressure 14.21 PSI
FF Battery Volts 12.52 VDC
FF Boat Speed 0.00 #
FF Manifold Air Temp 66.20 ?F
FF Coolant Temp 66.20 ?F
FF Demand 0.16 %
FF Engine Speed 0 RPM
FF Engine State Stall
FF FPC Total 0.0 Counts
FF Frequency Count 1
FF Fuel Level 0.00 %
FF Gear Position Neutral
FF Lake Temp 426.20 ?F
FF Engine Load 0.00 %
FF Main Pwr Relay Requests YES
FF Manifold Air Pressure 14.23 PSI
FF Oil Level 0.00 %
FF Port Tab Pos 0.00 %
FF Available Power 10 %
FF Run Time 337.67 hrs
FF TPS Percent 0.16 %

1 FUEL LVL CKT HI
FF Battery Volts 12.52 VDC
FF Boat Speed 0.00 #
FF Coolant Temp 66.20 ?F
FF Demand 0.16 %
FF Engine Speed 0 RPM
FF Engine State Stall
FF FPC Total 0.0 Counts
FF Frequency Count 1
FF Fuel Level 0.00 %
FF Gear Position Neutral
FF Lake Temp 426.20 ?F
FF Engine Load 0.00 %
FF Manifold Air Pressure 14.23 PSI
FF Oil Level 0.00 %
FF Port Tab Pos 0.00 %
FF Available Power 10 %
FF Run Time 337.67 hrs
FF TPS Percent 0.16 %

2 ECM_TRIG2 SHORT
FF Battery Volts 14.30 VDC
FF Boat Speed 0.00 #
FF Coolant Temp 69.80 ?F
FF Demand 0.33 %
FF Engine Speed 751 RPM
FF Engine State Running
FF FPC Total 0.0 Counts
FF Frequency Count 0
FF Fuel Level 0.00 %
FF Gear Position Neutral
FF Lake Temp 426.20 ?F
FF Engine Load 11.86 %
FF Manifold Air Pressure 7.06 PSI
FF Oil Level 0.00 %
FF Port Tab Pos 0.00 %
FF Available Power 100 %
FF Run Time 337.67 hrs
FF TPS Percent 0.33 %

3 LIFT PUMP TIMER
FF Battery Volts 14.24 VDC
FF Boat Speed 0.00 #
FF Manifold Air Temp 68.00 ?F
FF Coolant Temp 89.60 ?F
FF Demand 0.33 %
FF Engine Speed 685 RPM
FF Engine State Running
FF FPC Total 0.0 Counts
FF Frequency Count 0
FF Fuel Level 0.00 %
FF Gear Position Neutral
FF Lake Temp 426.20 ?F
FF Engine Load 12.11 %
FF Manifold Air Pressure 7.28 PSI
FF Oil Level 0.00 %
FF Port Tab Pos 0.00 %
FF Available Power 100 %
FF Run Time 337.68 hrs
FF TPS Percent 0.33 %

Fault Log Data
Fault Descriptions Seconds

Battery Range High: 0
Battery Range Low: 0
Block Pressure is Low: 0
Compressor Temp Overheat: 0
ETC Motor Open: 0
ETC Motor Short: 0
Fuel Pressure Sensor Input High: 0
Fuel Pressure Sensor Input Low: 0
Guardian Strategy: 0
Knock Sensor 1: 0
Knock Sensor 2: 0
Low Oil Pressure Strategy: 0
Low Oil Remote Strategy: 0
Low Oil Reserve Strategy: 0
MAP Sensor 1 Input High: 0
MAP Sensor 1 Input Low: 0
MAP Sensor 1 Idle Rational: 0
Oil Pump Output: 0
Overspeed: 0
Port Clnt Overheat: 0
Starboard Clnt Overheat: 0
Warning Horn Output: 0
Water In Fuel: 0

Engine Run Time History:

Total Hours: 337.68 Hours
0 to 749: 84.55 Hours
750 to 1499: 131.07 Hours

1500 to 2999: 50.27 Hours
3000 to 3999: 9.02 Hours
4000 to 4499: 13.60 Hours
4500 to 4999: 23.23 Hours
5000 to 5499: 9.80 Hours
5500 to 6249: 14.80 Hours
Over 6250: 1.35 Hours

Fun Times

Staff member
2 ECM_TRIG2 SHORT.
Hi RedTail8 To help keep this altogether as one vs moving throughout the forum, I moved your latest created topic into the one you started yesterday which covers pretty much all the same things.

Looks like with your engine model the Available Power might only read 100% while the engine is running and possibly only lowers the percentage value as an issue arises. That is new to me as the I/O's read 100% with engine on or off unless an issue is happening mostly while running but I believe while off as well depending on situation.

Since you found an # 2 ECM_Trig2 Short/Open, Doing a quick search online suggests you may have an pencil coil issue (ignition coil to spark plug as you should have 4 total) and my "guess" would be with coil number 2.
http://www.veradoclub.com/index.php?topic=7119.0
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...il&FORM=HDRSC2

What is your engine serial number?

RedTail8

Cadet
No worries on relocating. Thanks for keeping it organized. I'm in process of trying to figure out in Seloc how to check the resistance of the pencil coils.

The serial number is 1B423334.

I'm thinking the Lift Pump Timer has something to do with the fuel supply either to the "Fuel Supply Module" that houses the low and high pressure pumps and float. Thinking either the low pressure pump has an issue, or possible a fuel line is disintegrating, low pressure fuel filter is clogged or got water or something along those lines. In the almost two years I've owned the boat I've only put ethanol free gas in it. I refuse to put ethanol gas in my boat. I'm guessing the previous owner didn't care.

If anything else, or going down a wrong path, feel free to let me know...

Thanks,
Marc

Fun Times

Staff member
Has the engine been dying out on you at all? For the lift pump fault, since you now know all the faults listed you first might want to try clearing all the past and active faults then see what ones come back up both running at home and on your next quick test run after figuring out the coil issue to see if you get your RPM/Speed back.
Without really knowing the history, There's a small possibility that the lift pump timer could have been an old fault or a one time slow occurrence that has now past. Definitely inspect the fuel system before going out as the things you listed are the majority of the timer fault but before ordering a new fuel lifter pump, you want to ensure the fault is actually coming back due to a bad pump...Nothing else.
Lift pump Timeout: Critical 1.
FSM did not fill in the specified time. Reference CDS‑FSM Based Fuel System Parameters.
? Fuel filter is restricted ? Fuel restriction in boat ? Weak lift pump.

The first link is what seems to be a typical occurrence when a lift pump seems to have failed plus offers a small explanation of how the lift pump works. The second link is a detailed diagnostics service bulletin of the Fuel Supply Module.. You may want to save this bulletin to your computer in case it ever disappears from online like they sometimes do.
http://www.justanswer.com/boat/791u0-300-mercury-varado-keeps-shutting-down-fuel-lift-pump.html
This bulletin is to help technicians better diagnose fuel ...

Should your testing's find the coil to be bad, Here is a parts guide for the coil through iboats...At this time, see image number 39 but for some reason the coil is listed in the lower part number section as number 42 as "coil assembly".:noidea: http://www.iboats.com/Cylinder-Head...495366--**********.557096034--view_id.1698366

Here is your complete parts guide through iboats, http://www.iboats.com/MERCURY-115-EFI-4-STROKE-2006-1B366823-THRU-2B059605/dm/view_id.1702172

Your serial number is listed as
MERCURY
2006 4 STROKE L4NA 115 EFI EXLPT 4
Model number 1115F23HD
75/80/90/100/115 EFI 4-STROKE

RedTail8

Cadet
When I pulled the codes last night I took two readings. First was the available faults with turning on the diagnostic and linking it to the motor without clearing the faults. All the same faults were there except for the lift pump one. I saved those. Then cleared the faults to see if any of them would come back if still active getting rid of any lingering ones. They all came back, but then the lift pump added on a few seconds after too. I hope it's just a filter.

I didn't look up the price of the low pressure fuel pump but the high pressure one isn't too cheap. I'm thinking of hooking it up to an external gas tank with a bulb and pushing some gas into the fuel module when the alarm is going on to see if that helps prove/disprove the pump is the issue.

Thanks a million for the help. Great info. I'm hoping to work through it tonight.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
This engine has lost spark ignition as 1 coil fires 2 cylinders. Have you tested fuel pressure????? Could be a pressure regulator if low or TPS is out of wack.

RedTail8

Cadet
Can you help me understand what you mean 1 coil fires two cylinders? Each cylinder has it's own plug and 4 separate pencil coils, 1 for each cylinder. Is it the harness to the coils where 1 harness feeds two coils/cylinders?

I haven't checked fuel pressure yet, but was on the list of tests for the fuel system. One of the first things I'll check as it's easy enough to test now that I know.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Sorry about that as wrong parts diagram, the earlier model had single coil that fired 2 cylinder at same time....
coi.jpg

RedTail8

Cadet
Two cylinders at one time sounds like too much for one man. :) i'll keep you guys posted. Going to be testing resistance and other stuff tonight. Picking up a new coil after work just in case, which in all likelihood will need (can return if not), so hopefully that fixes that and can move on to the fuel system issue.

RedTail8

Cadet
Alright, on a positive note replacing the second pencil coil fixed the ECM fault codes. The boat now accelerates like she used to and has the top end she used to. The downside is after running her for a few minutes the alarm goes on again and I loose power. The Pump Lift Timer is still the issue. I hooked it up to an external gas tank and she seemed to run great. I checked all the connections to the tank, etc. and they all look okay. The connection from the 3/8in gas line to the 5/16 gas line to the motor looks alright. I replaced the 5/16 gas line to the motor just cause I wondered if there was an issue. Still the same problem. I'm about to take off the sending unit and the plate that the connections go into the gas tank to see if any issues there. I don't really want to do that cause I'm afraid of breaking the gasket seal from the sending unit plate to the tank itself but I have a hard time believing there's an issue in the 3/8 in hose from the tank to the 5/16 hose to the motor. I've heard of screens over the gas intake tube in the tank clogging.

Any other ideas or insights before I take my gas tank apart? The sending unit never seemed to accurately display the gas level either. Thinking of replacing that to see if it might work a little better.

Thanks,
Marc

RedTail8

Cadet
As an update, issues are not resolved, waiting for parts. Since the motor ran fine on an external tank I emailed a contact I have at the boat manufacturer asking if there's a screen on the fuel uptake hose in the fuel tank. He also suggested replacing the anti siphon valve. I didn't realize that was there and figure that had to be the problem/solution. So I got the $14 valve and went to replace it. The old one would not unscrew from the fuel tank fitting. I tried heating it with a heat gun but just wasn't budging. So the siphon valve ended up breaking off in the fuel tank fitting. What I thought was going to be an easy swap turned into this. So I've ordered a new moeller fuel tank line fitting assembly from iboats. The sending unit never worked right either so ordered a new one of those too from Amazon. Would have got through here but both parts were shipping from different warehouses so it was double the cost in shipping.

I guess one question I have now that I've taken my fuel tank fittings apart is what to use to seal the threads when I put it back together? Pipe stick, Teflon tape or other? I'll search the web a little to see what's suggested for fuel systems too but any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

RedTail8

Cadet
Update after a new anti-siphon and new fuel intake line in the gas tank which was a complete pain for where my gas tank is located. I hooked up a vacuum gauge between the low pressure inline filter and the fuel system module while watching the Diacom software for these settings:
Lift Pump On Time.................................. 0.00 Seconds
FSM Level Switch.................................... LOW
Vent Switch......................................... LOW
Vent Canister Purge Valve.......................... OPEN
Vent Caniser Percent.............................. xx.xx %
Calculated Fuel Mass.............................. xx g

When I key "ON" the Lift Pump activates to about 5 in. Hg. to fill the Fuel System Module. I have clear lines, and no air coming through the lines really. It stops cycling once full.

I start the engine and let it run. The FSM Level Switch starts at HIGH, then after running will go to low, and when the Calculated Fuel Mass reaches 60 g the lift pump kicks on filling the FSM again in under 10 secs per the "Lift Pump On Time". The FSM Level Switch goes "HIGH" again and lift pump stops. This repeats twice. It sounds like this is how it should work. Then on the third time when Vent Switch and FSM Level Switch are both "LOW" and calculated Fuel Mass goes above 60g they Lift Pump On Time starts and keeps going to 45 seconds, but the FSM Level doesn't go back to "HIGH". I think I need to watch it again to see the vacuum pressure in those 45 seconds but believe it was 2 in. Hg. The service manual says it should never exceed 3in. Hg. According to Mercury's bulletin once the 45sec is reached and the FSM Level Switch hasn't changed to "HIGH" the system disables the lift pump and the boat runs out of gas which is what my motor did.

Does this sound like a lift pump issue or something else? I'm not sure what else it could be. Fuel filter was replaced half through the summer. New anti-siphon. Checked fuel intake line and everything seems fine. Seems to pull gas through okay a couple times anyway.

Is 2in. Hg. too low? I looks like gas is trying to pull through the hose when the 2in. Hg is registering on the vacuum meter but it doesn't seem like enough pull to fill the FSM back up. As mentioned the manual says it shouldn't exceed 3in. Hg but what is the normal range??

Thanks,
Marc

Last edited: