Pulling off the lower unit. Put it in gear, or not?

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Motor is 1986 75hp. Doing my impeller service this week myself for the first time, I'm reading and watching YouTube videos to prepare myself, and they're really helpful. I'm ready to do it.

But some guys in the "how to" videos put the throttle in gear before dropping the lower unit. Some leave it in neutral. Some don't mention it at all. My SELOC book says put it in forward gear. What's the best procedure?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I use Neutral, DJ. The reason is in forward if the shaft is bumped during the reinstall, it will fall off the cam drop into neutral, Then you drop the thing again and again until it stays in forward. The purpose of forward is so the prop can be turned to line up the crankshaft and driveshaft. Using the neutral method, you turn the flywheel with the plugs out.

Here's a write up for the neutral way - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...haft-setup-for-mercury-outboards#post10076720

Pete_a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I use Neutral, DJ. The reason is in forward if the shaft is bumped during the reinstall, it will fall off the cam drop into neutral, Then you drop the thing again and again until it stays in forward. The purpose of forward is so the prop can be turned to line up the crankshaft and driveshaft. Using the neutral method, you turn the flywheel with the plugs out.

Here's a write up for the neutral way - [URL="http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/mercury-mariner-outboards/10076720-simple-method

I just did my merc io in fwd and had no problems. if doing alone to rotate prop as you hang onto drive. hopping into boat and running back down to see and back and forth would be hard. But do have to keep a constant pressure on prop in proper direction and i think this keeps shifter from moving.

I imagine outboard is differant but would you need someone on crankshaft? Just thinking how my experience was but i have an io

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
DJ has a Merc 75HP OB. The method is for Merc outboards. If you use neutral for a Mercruiser, you have a good chance of bending shift shoe - Ya gotta use Forward.

I use the neutral drop and install and do it with a support jack. A piece of cake every time.

Pete_a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There ya go dj, ga knows his stuff. Im learning along with you dj and always thought maybe id try an outboard someday. The support jack sounds like an idea and im guessing the shaft keeps it secured as you head to crankshaft.

My recommendation to stick to service manual was only because usually you cant go wrong. Interesting technique, now where are ya dj? Haha out working on boat☺

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Follow-up: I did it! Took twice the time that I budgeted because the lower unit didn't want to just glide back on smoothly. But after a lot of cursing and sweating and GA_Boater explaining the gearshift alignment to me, it finally went together. Tested it on the lake and the ol' pee-stream is strong! Owe you one, GAB!