1964 Mercury 110 9.8 HP Upper Gear Issue

stewartkaye2

Recruit
As I am sure many of you will realize by just reading this post, I am new to the world of outboard motor work and thus bear with me please! I recently acquired an old 1964 Mercury 110 9.8 HP outboard from my grandfather after the told me it would not start after being in storage for years. I am in the process of cleaning it out and cleaning and restoring the lines and carburetor. However, today, as I was working on it, the upper gears did something and now I have no idea what to do! The small pin that hooks onto the shifting gears will not move right along the gears. If you shift the shift lever UP (reverse) the gear rotates anti clockwise and the small pin moves left but then gets stuck and will not move back right if you attempt to shift the gear lever down into neutral. Furthermore, if you press the gear shift lever down more, it will not go down into forward. Please feel free to comment. Thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If nobody answers, just answer it yourself with the word "Bump". That will put it back at the top in full view. It will get answered.

stewartkaye2

Recruit
I have now replaced spark plugs and the shorter fuel line. Still cannot get motor to start. Shift pin in top of motor still rotates with gear and gets stuck. Any help?

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was working on a 65 110 earlier today, and for the life of me I can't picture what parts you are trying to describe. A photo would be very helpful if you can post one. BTW, up is forward on those older Mercury shifters. As for it not starting, have you checked for spark? The magneto almost certainly needs some maintenance if has been sitting for a few years.