Mercury 25XD WMC15 Carburator rebuild?

Ddono29485

Cadet
I picked up this old motor and trying to get it going.....took apart carb and cleaned out well and reassembled.......would start but would not idle at all and was really smoking......took apart carb again and noticed the spring in the manual primer plug that seats a small ball bearing was all bent up....so ball was not seating.....got a carb rebuild kit.......when I looked closely saw a small rubber seat in that primer bowl that is held into the bottom of the bowl with a small spring clip....rebuild kit has these parts but how do you get the clip out......I pushed the bubbler seat out but the clip is small and deep into the bottom of the bowl where the plug screws in. Any help on how to remove would be appreciated.....probably was why it was smoking so bad.....ball in primer area was not seating and fuel was really rich I would guess....also why idle adjust needed to be nearly closed (1/4 turn open) to even try to get it to idle

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What clip? Put up a pic of it. Pretty sure wmc 15 has the plastic primer on the side. Should be no clip on the bottom of the primer bowl. If you pushed the rubber out of the seal then the the sleeve is left in. To get that out a small screwdriver or pick will be needed.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That is not a clip it is the sleeve of the seal. The metal part left behind when you tear the rubber out of it. Small screwdriver and pick to get it out. If you think of a regular seal and the outside ring is metal that is what that is the outer ring.

Ddono29485

Cadet
So what is this little spring clip for then,see pic. Rubber seal on right is the old one I pushed out from below what I was calling the spring clip. The one to the left of that is the new one and you can see the new spring clip left of that. Sure looks like the spring clip in the previous picture. What's this clip for if the previous pic is a sleeve?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 1

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
It holds the seal in place most of those have metal clad seals that just press in . Yours is an early one put the new seal in on top of it or dig it out with a pick and small screwdriver