115hp 2stroke starter spin no start; electric issues?

TomsSearay

Cadet
So, after reading everything about the no start, starter spin issues, I started to look at all the electrical connections believing that I may have a bad connection. All the usual stuff; e.g. battery, starter and solenoid connections looked good. Then, I noticed the bullet connections between the voltage regulator and solenoid and stator looked burned. At first, I thought that it was the die-electric grease, but father inspection revealed that the connections were burned and the insulated connectors were melted together.???? So, Any thoughts as to what may be going on. The motor would be hard to start; eg. starter would spin without engaging, but once started would run fine until the next start. then the no start bendix spin would begin again. I would continue to bump the starter until it would engage again. What is going on?? TIA!

Attachments

• DSCN0305.JPG
    DSCN0305.JPG
    385.3 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Replace the connectors. Make sure all grounds and other connections to the starter are clean. You can also try some light lube on the bendix could just be sticking.

sam am I

Commander
but father inspection revealed that the connections were burned and the insulated connectors were melted together.???? So, Any thoughts as to what may be going on.

Pretty common with those bullet connectors on these engines.........Sorta a bad design from the get go IMO. Nothing is/went wrong, just poor/corroding connections and high'ish current is all. Cut um off, solder ends together, heat shrink.

I would continue to bump the starter until it would engage again. What is going on?? TIA!

The battery could be low'ish due to the poor charge path connection issues above and/or as FS says......old sticky grease on bendix. Clean and re-grease, I like to use and have good results with white lithium grease on the bendix.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I like to use and have good results with white lithium grease on the bendix.

Back in the '50's Lubriplate White Lithium was the ONLY grease in my boating circles for any marine application, including wheel bearings. Has the mark of a quality product.....survived the test of time.

TomsSearay

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. I will have to come up with a better connector. Soldering the connections is not the best solution for me. I did take the starter off and cleaned the shaft of the helical gear. Waiting for the next time to get the boat out.

TomsSearay

Cadet
Follow up. After disassembling the starter and cleaning it, and fixing the electrical connections; finally, got the boat out; well, sorta'. Anticipation was high as I backed the trailer into the water. Once the bunks were submerged, I eagerly jumped aboard and ran through my check list; eg. kill switch set, fuel cutoff opened, motor lowered, fuel bulb primed, throttle in neutral and slightly advanced. Now the big moment to turn the start switch. Turned the key, pushed in for choke, and then rrrrr .....motors turning over; and, stopped, nothing, nada, nope. What the !*#*?. Turned the key again and NOTHING.

OK, lets think about this. What's working, radio? NO!, Gauges? Not a one, fuel, alternator, temp, None! Hum.. try the switch again. turn, push and it doesn't feel right. Another try, feels loose???. So, I lay on my back and look under the dash and what do my wandering eyes find; the back terminal plate of the ignition switch is sticking out of it's housing. Huh??? Well, I get up and with one hand pushing the terminal plate in, I turn the key and rrrrrr; motor's turning! At last it fires and stays running. All the gauges are working. Yea!

Well, the wife was about done with this, but I convince her that we can still take a spin. Which we did. So, another adventure with the boat. Get a new switch; or, is it fixable? Will update when I can. FWIW.

image_253586.jpg

Last edited:

TomsSearay

Cadet
Got around to taking the boat out after fixing the switch, super glue is a great thing! The starter worked fine and we had a nice relaxing outing on the river. Probably the last time this season. But, it's all good.