Mercury Classic 50 drive issue

kier

Recruit
I purchased a boat yesterday and took it on the lake. I was going along and then lost forward momentum. The motor still revs but no go power. I had similar issue with a propeller slipping but this has a little more metal noise to it. If I put the pot in gear, I can click the propeller one way and the other way should spin the fly wheel. When I do this I just get slippage and clicking noises. Any ideas on what is wrong?

kier

Recruit
Drained the lower unit oil and it was just filled with water. I must have burnt up my gears in there.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Clicking could just be the overrunning clutch which happens in forward gear when the propeller shaft is spinning faster than the gear driving it. Happens upon deceleration, and when prop is rotated by hand counter clockwise with engine stopped and in forward gear. However there are other things that can make clicking sounds inside when the unit is run without oil. Bearings for one. The proper thing now is to disassemble the lower unit for inspection and repair. The least it will need is a reseal job, but.... Was this a private sale, or from a dealer? With a dealer you might have a chance of some warranty, but a private sale, caveat emptor