Low Compression on bottom Cylinder (#4) 1989 Mercury 40

Blueraven1959

Recruit
I have been told that I have low compression on my #4 cylinder of a 40hp 4 cylinder 2 stroke. I check all the compressions and they are as follows.
#1 #2 and #3 all have about 123psi. The #4 has 75. I was told the engine was not worth fixing and to get a new one. I had a friend come over and we put some oil in #4 cylinder and the compression came back to 123psi. So my question is what is causing the low compression. It has been suggested to put Marvelous Mystery Oil in the #4 and let is sit for 2 days which I have done. With out tearing apart the engine, is there a way to get this compression resolved. I am mechanically inclined but never have taken an engine apart.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Usually this is because the lower crank seals have failed and water has enterend cylinder,,,it scuffs the piston so only cure is to rebuild.

Blueraven1959

Recruit
Is it a big job to replace the lower seals? What is the proceedure to rebuild it. Is it a BIG job and costly?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Seal aint going to fix it,,you will need to tear it down and inspect cylinders and piston,hone or bore oversize and reassemble. On a 1-10 scale about a 8