110 Merc startup question

Bow Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just purchased a 1977 Mercury 110 9.8 hp motor from the original owner with tank and line and manuel , motor is in great shape and does not look like it as tampered with. My question is? the motor was tuned up and used once and then put in storage for 3 years in the dry basement till I bought it, so far I cleaned tank and blew out the gas line, can I just add new fuel and start it.. thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You can, however the carb may need attention from sitting, and the impeller should be replaced

mercster

Cadet
You will probably have to buy carb rebuild kits on ebay and rebuild the carbs. also change the lower unit oil and replace the spark plugs. the fuel lines should be replaced.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
You will probably have to buy carb rebuild kits on ebay and rebuild the carbs. also change the lower unit oil and replace the spark plugs. the fuel lines should be replaced.

+1 on that and a new fuel pump kit and ALL fuel lines, internal and external to the engine, including a new squeeze bulb, paying attention that the arrow on the side of it points in the direction of fuel flow. You then should lubricate the internal parts by setting the throttle to wide open, to the expose the engine intake parts, like crank shaft bearings, and then, with the plugs removed, give the cylinders a good spray while pulling it over numerous times to distribute the lubrication.

Sea Foam Aerosol is a good product for that purpose. WW sells it as most auto parts stores. Read the label. In non-aerosol form it works in your fuel tank to help in keeping your engine squeaky clean. I used in in every tank with my last engine. After 10 years of operation I decided to check my carbs and no varnish anywhere......a few pieces of degraded fuel lines, but no varnish/sludge. I'm a believer.

Bow Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Working on the motor today, cleaned plugs, sprayed seafoam in cylinders sprayed some in carb pulled several times,cleaned out gas can and lines, filled with fresh high test gas fuel oil and stabilizer and seafoam . hooked up fuel line primed bulb set choke 2 pulls turn off choke and 1 pull and it's alive!! but no water so shut down and pulled lower unit...impeller had 2 vanes broken but still in pump, now for my problem after putting everything away till I get the new impeller I found a part on the ground that must of fell out when the motor was tilted, I was able to identify the part as the stem from the fuel adapter check unit. so What's the trick to reinstall the stem??

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
" I was able to identify the part as the stem from the fuel adapter check unit." Whazzzzzt zat? Picture?

"impeller had 2 vanes broken but still in pump" Assume this is the original impeller from the PO? Fine, put the pieces back together and see if any are missing. If so, you would do yourself a favor if you can find them.....may-be lucky and they are on the ground where your spent water is collecting.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Something happened to your www address. What is supposed to be between www. and /parts?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I can't help you on that. Never had one spit the pin. Ping Faztbullet

Bow Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I figured it out, went to the local marina for a impeller and they had the o-ring and I pushed it back in, thanks everyone!!