mercury 1969 1000 (100hp) wont go full throttle all of a sudden

rhinzo

Cadet
A few weeks ago my 1969 was running great. I was pulling people on the tube and skis. Today, when I got on the water I push the throttle all the way and it only goes < 10mph.

I took the cover off and looked at the carbs when pushing full throttle... the carbs only open a tiny crack. What could the issue be?

I've read on this forum, that the distributor and whatever is above the distributor can get locked up. I haven't tried greasing it up yet.

What else could it be? I'm no engine expert. Why would it stop working, when it was working great a few weeks ago? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

*EDIT* Also I marked the spot on my throttle box where the distributor starts turning. It's almost half way down. I tried adjusting the throttle and other cable, but not luck.

Last edited:

mercster

Cadet
If the carbs are truly only opening a tiny bit at full throttle must be a linkage issue either on the carbs or in the control lever.box.

rhinzo

Cadet
How could something like that be so drastically different over the course of a couple weeks?

rhinzo

Cadet
I'm not too experienced with boat motors so excuse my ignorance. I've taken about 2 hours inspecting all of the parts that lead from the cables to the mechanism that opens up the carbs all the way. Everything that I've seen looks to be in working order.

I took it to a boat mechanic (who admittedly wasn't experienced with old motors) and they couldn't see anything the looked broken. All they could tell me was that they couldn't figure out why the carbs weren't all they way open at full throttle.

I guess I'll have to take the old thing to another more experience mechanic. It's just a bummer that the family vacation isn't going to have some boat time for the grand kids. If anyone has any other ideas I'd really appreciate the help!! Thanks!

rhinzo

Cadet
When?

Yes it's in the off position when driving. The only time its up is when I'm trying to start it cold. Is that what you mean?

rhinzo

Cadet
If anyone is finding this post I believe I solved my problem...

The part that is above the distributor that turns to open the throttle shutters all the way wasn't opened. I added more grease to both of the grease openings and worked the throttle back and forth until it moved smoothly.

I'll have to test it on the water to make sure. But, I'm pretty sure I solved the problem.

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If that was it, I'll be real jealous.:facepalm: It's supposed to wreck your whole summer.lol