Merc 9.8 carb question

kornlizard

Cadet
Hi was wondering if it is possible to use a bb2a carb to replace my damaged bb6c as i cant find one they appear to look the same if it wont work what makes them so different

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hi was wondering if it is possible to use a bb2a carb to replace my damaged bb6c as i cant find one they appear to look the same if it wont work what makes them so different

FIrst thing komlizard, :welcome: to iboats...

I have no idea what either carb looks like or how either is built. How bad is your carb damaged? Can you post a picture or three for us to see what you are dealing with? You could check to see if the same rebuilt kit fits both. And also if all the linkages would fit as well. If those things are correct, if could be possible. But again, I don't know that for certain myself. Check for replacement parts to see if the two versions have the same type parts is another way to see. Others with actual knowledge of your carb will chime in with better ideas and suggestions I'm sure. :noidea:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What year is that model, it's an old or newer version ? Carbs close to each other usually have wider fuel passages along jets and used on next upgraded HP model while sharing same CC.

Happy Boating

kornlizard

Cadet
No Title

The carburetor i currently have is on my 1981 merc 9.8 which is the bb6c my idle screw is shot and cant find one thats the extent of the damage as i can tell. Finding a replacement carb seems easier even though the numbers are different ie tillotson bb2a vs bb6c the bb2a says its from the 70,s no sure what year but looks identical

Attachments

• photo251153.png
    photo251153.png
    557.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo251154.png
    photo251154.png
    787.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo251155.png
    photo251155.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The carburetor i currently have is on my 1981 merc 9.8 which is the bb6c my idle screw is shot and cant find one thats the extent of the damage as i can tell. Finding a replacement carb seems easier even though the numbers are different ie tillotson bb2a vs bb6c the bb2a says its from the 70,s no sure what year but looks identical

You must be talking about the threads in the carb body, because I don't see anything wrong with the needle. If you can't find a replacement, you could have an insert installed at a machine shop and use your needle again. Just a suggestion. :noidea:

kornlizard

Cadet
Ok thanks for the help btw carb rebuild kits for these models dont have idle air screws in them looked high and low