Alternative to fogging

Mercury Bigfoot 2007 60 hp. I heard that I can winterize the 4 cylinders in my engine by doing something other than removing the spark plugs. Is there something I can run through my fuel system that will coat the cylinders and protect them as well as fogging - some sort of mixture of treated gas and an oil of a certain type.
The "recipe" I recall hearing about contained three "ingredients".

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Never heard of it. I use the Sta-Bil fogging oil on all my engines in storage. I use it as directed which includes pulling plugs. As much of a pain in the butt it is to get a fouled up engine running after being stored improperly I'd say it's well worth the time to pull plugs. Just my honest two cents. My buddy uses mystery oil to fog his stuff and says it works well.

Alumarine

Captain
If it's not fuel injected why not just spray fogging oil in the carbs while the motor is running at idle?
Pretty easy.

It's a 4 cylinder, fuel-injected engine. The plugs are behind parts that prevent me from inserting a ratchet conveniently to remove the plugs. If you are familiar with the 2007 60hp can you tell me if I risk a problem if I remove the parts that are preventing me from removing the spark plugs. Or is there a site somewhere that I can reference?

tpenfield

Staff member
winterizing 'cocktail' . . . fuel and 10% 2-cycle oil. run about 1 quart (liter) through the engine.

I believe you guys are right. This sounds appropriate and spares me from having to remove the spark plugs this year. I use the mid-range octane gas in all my gas engines - lawn mower, chainsaw, trimmer- so the cocktail would be mid-range octane gasoline, 2-cycle oil(10%) and fuel stabilizer.

I was wondering that if I put a one quart of mix in my 5-gallon fuel tank if it will be pumped up by the fuel system at all. I'm speculating that one quart of fluid will not be high enough to be picked up by whatever it is in the tank that suctions fuel into the fuel system - a tube that lays on the bottom of the tank, I imagine. Do I need a much smaller marine fuel tank with the usual fittings and hose for this one-quart purpose? I assume I'd be keeping the tank level during the winterization process.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Shake the tank - The oil will blend.

You should learn how to remove the spark plugs.

You're right. I ordered a manual from the Secot publishing company yesterday. I'm looking forward to studying it and learning how to remove the spark plugs and do other things.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do yourself a favor and get the OEM Mercury manual. They aren't very expensive and you can find them on eBay. Just make sure you get the one that covers your serial number range.

OK. I discovered that the reason that I couldn't see the spark plugs is because there are coils atop each of them. The coils need to be unbolted then the plugs can be seen and removed. That was my problem: I couldn't see the plugs because they were underneath hardware that I simply wasn't aware of. I know what spark plugs look like in an engine head but have never seen what I see on my Mercury. I've been told it's an easy thing to unbolt the coils and then remove the plugs - all of them at the same time without losing track of which wire goes to its specific plug - in preparation for fogging the cylinders.