1968 mercury bp1250

Jeff day

Cadet
I just recently acquired a 1968 Mercury BP 1250.of course after I purchased it I found out there is virtually nothing available for it.long story short sometimes the motor runs like a sewing machine and sometimes it doesn't.the number 3 cylinder appears to have compression sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.a quick check with the borescope shows perfect cylinder walls,good spark,and compression that seems to come and go on that cylinder.Two Strokes are somewhat of a mystery to me.what next,start looking for a more modern engine or fix this one?

Jeff day

Cadet
after a closer inspection it appears that the number 3 cylinder is scored up pretty badly.Has anyone ever had a block resleeve before?I want to keep a period correct motor on my boat.I spoke with Jerry at the Outboard Clinic(thank you Jerry) He was able to locate sleeves and pistons which I could find no where on the internet.So,is this too much effort for a 1968 motor?

Jeff day

Cadet
the reason for the questions are because I've never owned a 2 stroke outboard before

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Find ya later model motor and swap the cowlings... All you need is a oversize piston a sif needs sleeved junk it. Also check the trigger as when they act up they take out #1 and #3

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
If it's a true BP1250, it's well worth putting some money into. Rare motor! The guys at ScreamAndFly.com love that stuff!

Jeff day

Cadet
It is,I verified with Mercury Marine vintage division.It is the Typhoon block.Its a lot to put into an old motor,but it ran so well.the only 2-stroke stuff on my property has been weed eaters.lol decisions...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
To put it in perspective - the BP1250 is akin to a 351C (if you're a Ford guy) or an original Chevy LT1 (if you're a Chevy guy). It was one of the first truly high performance big outboards. Well worth saving! If you're looking for a basic go-fast motor, you could easily sell it to a collector and use the proceeds to get something newer, etc.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I doubt it a BP....If its has a shiftable lower unit it just a stock 1250, a BP has a speedmaster unit and uses a 9"prop

Jeff day

Cadet
The speedmaster was removed in 1970.I recieved all receipts when purchased.I contacted the orig owner who is providing it in damaged form so it can be complete again.sn# 2400121

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
What type of boat is it on as midsection is different and cannot bolt a stock unit to it.??? Got pics?

Jeff day

Cadet
I do have pics.File size prevents prevents post.I even e mailed it to myself to compress it.No luck

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I seen your other posts and pics over on S&F...Sorry it not a BP just a plain ole 1250 as I suspected as BPs are pretty rare.Call the guy below as he bought out Nashville Marine parts and had boxes of this old stuff.
Parsley Marine Service & Repairs

Phone: (615) 895-7559