1991 Mercury 200hp V6 Overvoltage and Dropping Power

Randy W.

Seaman
Thank you Sam. I was following the instructions in CDI's Troubleshooting Guide, 6th ed. (i.e. measuring to ground). This information looked somewhat generic, though. Thanks for the above. I will measure directly across the yellows, too for 16vac. I have yet to pull the flywheel to get a good visual of the stator. I have found an upgrade kit with the 4 wire stator and the updated regulator (actually with two-20 amp regulators) from CDI. The current stator is obviously 25 years old and was an obscure setup to begin with the 2 yellow wires (398-9610A5). The original regulator is "golden" at around $400 (18736A15). I will conduct further tests, but I'm fairly certain the regulator is bad. However, the CDI folks have me looking back at all wiring/grounds as you addressed, too. So I'll look back over everything again. Thanks for your help.

sam am I

Commander
You're quite welcome,

Agreed, the upgrade to the 4 wire stator, 2 rec/reg setup is a good idea, esp if the whole works are flaking out, it's time!!

You're sorta stuck paying too much IMO for a new 4 wire stator BUT, consider the lower cost of these reg/rec's that will work just ducky if and when you get a new 4 wire stator.

Also, the CDI "kit" might have advantages? They're "golden" as well but, purchasing just the 4 wire stator from CDI (or ebay?) and then the less expensive amazon rec/reg' might save you some dough.

Perhaps there's room you could just leave the old rec/reg in place BUT disconnected and use it as the water jacket plug? Or just make you own alu plate and cut your own gasket?

FYI, these newer 20 amp rec/reg's can be stood off the water jacket plate (like my/the merc factory setup came starting in 92) and remain air cooled OR can be mounted/heat sank (like the CDI "kit" comes) directly to the water jacket plate........either way works.

Last edited:

Randy W.

Seaman
Thanks Sam. Some good avenues there to research. If I replace both the stator and regulator, I'll know my entire ignition system is updated since the switch boxes have been done.