1989 75hp Mariner fuel / idle issue

kmac2001

Recruit
I am having an issue maybe someone can help me diagnose.

Motor has run fine for the last two months. On my last trip it started hard, idled rough and would die whenever I tried to put it in gear. If I worked quickly I could put in gear and give it throttle before it died. Once in gear as long as I give it a fair amount of throttle it runs normal, gets on plane and will achieve my normal top speed.

I found if I pump the primer bulb for a while fuel comes out the throat of the bottom Carb. The bulb almost gets hard before i see fuel leaking.
Fuel seems to drain out of the fuel filter fairly fast so I may also have a bad primer bulb.

I dropped the float bowl, held the float fully up and pumped the bulb. No fuel entered the float bowl area but did eventually start coming out the throat of the Carb.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I am new to boating and 2 stroke motors.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If fuel is leaking out of the carb when priming, dollars to donuts the carbs need rebuilt.

GA_Boater

Missed one important step.

:welcome: to iboats, kmac.

kmac2001

Recruit
GA_Boater: Thanks for the welcome.
I figured it might be the Carbs or the fuel pump. I might have to take it to a mechanic.
Without a garage or work area I think it will be hard to remove the carbs and rebuild them in my driveway. So many small parts to keep track of.

GA_Boater

I removed mine in a storage lot and brought them home to do the job on the back porch. I would have been chasing little parts in the gravel. :doh:

kmac2001

Recruit
I might give it a shot.
I will have to track down a manual and see if it looks within my abilities. Maybe see if I can find a friend with a garage to bribe into helping!
It just kind of confused me that there was no fuel entering the float bowl yet it still came out of the carb somehow.

But I know next to nothing about carbs and 2 stroke engines, which is why I needed advice!

kmac2001

Recruit
Thought I should post the solution to my problem.
After cleaning the carbs still had the same problems. I opened up the fuel pump and found both check valve disks were bad.
Rather than getting a rebuild kit I bought a new one. After installation the motor now runs fine, idles great!
Also replaced all fuel lines after verifying the fuel pump fixed the problem.