'01 25 hp Mercury Idle adjust (very high RPMs in reverse)

PCHAMPLIN

Recruit
Hi,
I have a 2001 Mercury 25ML 25 HP tiller engine. As I shift into reverse it seems to rev higher than it should, and the gears grind a little because of the high RPMs (hence I want to get this right before messing with it too much and destroying the reverse gears). A bolt holding the throttle shift linkage gear (the thing around which the cables go) was loose and I think the cables might have come out of adjustment (or something). I replaced the bolt and now It idles in N fine, and in forward, it is fine, but reverse seems to rev high (very high!). I don't know exactly how to troubleshoot it, and I don't want to mess with it too much while the engine is on... to preserve the gears.
Suggestions?

PCHAMPLIN

Recruit
Any specifics as to how/which to adjust is what I'm actually looking for. I don't want to screw it up any more than it is. Is there some way to tell I have it right without starting the engine?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Okay Look at the wheel the cables are on and next to it is the the shift wheel. When you look at where they come together there is three positions. Line them up so they are centered on each other that is neutral spin the prop by hand to make sure. Now tighten the cables until they are snug they should be equal thread sticking out of each or close to it. Snug the nuts on the side facing the 2 wheels.Make sure the 2 wheels stay centered if you go to far with one cable it will be out of adjustment. Now try shifting the motor without staring it but make sure you turn the prop by hand for reverse otherwise it may not go into gear. Forward will adjust itself. If you need a pic I will try to get one tomorrow. Make sure you have the nuts on the cables tight in the bracket when you shift it otherwise it your adjustment will be off again.

Last edited:

PCHAMPLIN

Recruit
I tried it out and it worked great! I started the engine and slid it into rev., and the revs were just as they had been before the bolt came loose! Perfect!
I'm wondering if the loose cables may have had something to do with the wheel/cam bolt loosening(?). Whatever the case... Thanks a ton!