No forward gear after water pump overhaul. 1995 mercury mariner 9.9

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
I changed out water pump the other day as the old one was suspect and everything seemed to go to plan. However though the pump is fine there is no forward gear at all. Reverse kicks in but nothing on forward gear. I had a time getting the rod up into the motor and the clip was a pain (mine has a starter and wiring so it is crowded) but everything lined up OK. Maybe rod is backwards ( I noticed it could rotate when the lu was off) or maybe something I did wrong?

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
The shift shaft is off a tooth or 2. Just drop the lower again and adjust the shaft again.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
I just saw that that shaft has to be a certain length (DOOH) and I did not realize it was threaded and adjustable.....However I was just our there trying to sort out what I did wrong and found it was able to go into forward after all. I am used to it kicking into gear when I first shove forward and it now has to go a couple more inches before it engages.... Seems to be OK but should I remove the LU like you said or just see how it performs?

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
No....at the time did not realize I needed to. I have a manual and saw a YOUTUBE video with a near identical water pump install but did not see that I needed to measure it. I saw later in my manual a section that was more detailed about installing the LU and saw that it was adjustable.....it does shift in and out or forward now but I have to put it further forward before it engages. if you folks think it best I will re install. My motor is a little more difficult as it has a starter and wiring loom in the way of the little latch and is a PITA to re install, LOL. The fact is I assumed the shift rod simply spun around to make it easier to install pump etc. You know what happens when you assume....

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
this may help, i have a 96 and feel your pain on reinstalling the LU

Last edited:

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Quick question....does the shaft need to be pulled up down etc. to be measured? I know it should be in forward but i do not see anywhere in my book that tells me what position that is. I know once I get it there I need to "turn" the shaft but need a starting point....

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
I found the information in my manual and was surprised that mine was so far out of adjustment....I don't remember turning that shaft that much when I had it out but regardless it is shifting normally again in the test barbell. In hindsight I should have read up on this quite a but more before doing the pump overhaul. Adding a fishing seat for the captain then taking it out this weekend (hopefully). The weather has been frustrating here...hot and rainy. Thanks for everyone's input.