850 Mercury 1974

CJTaylor

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 850 with a burn switch looks fried. Since I have not had any luck finding a replacement can these be rebuild? The motor is 4 cly and got good compression.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Not sure what a burn switch is. That motor have a distributor? CDI Electronics makes replacement parts and has a troubleshooting guide on their web site.

CJTaylor

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 850 with a burn switch box looks fried. Since I have not had any luck finding a replacement can these be rebuild? The motor is 4 cly and got good compression. Sorry left out box. The box is full of elec items resters and our items and is filled with some type of tar and looks like small stones. Looks like it melted?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, I will assume you mean the switch box is bad. Look on the crowleymarine web site parts list for your exact motor's switchbox part number and google it. CDI should have one. If you have a distributor, a switchbox from any 4/6 cylinder Merc with distributor ignition made from 1973 until 1979 should fit. You might run the troubleshooting test on the CDI Electronics web site, as it will check the switchbox and wiring. Without running that test there is no way to tell if the trigger or switchbox or both are bad.

CJTaylor

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for information will do it. The switch box looks like it has melted would that tell anything about the problem?