please help !!! motor stalls when put in gear

Mustang22

Recruit
First off Sorry for long post ?..I have a 1985 hudra sport with a mariner 90 hp motor , history on boat I have had it 3 summers now ? first 2 summers boat ran good with no problems ( except to start the boat when cold have to move throttle handle about 3 inches forward (not in gear) to start it once started I could just put back in original position ) ? but this summer I took boat out for the first time and it would not go over 1500 rms and would stall out and die if tried to go over that , so took home did compression test everything good 115-120 all cylinders ? BOAT RUNS FINE AT HOME ON MUFFS NO PROBLEMS ,so replaced all spark plugs and fuel filter and took boat back out .. but still did same thing .. so took back home and drained all old gas out ( I did put stabilizer in last year ) just to rule out bad gas and figured maybe the carbs were little dirty with carbon , so added new gas/oil mixture and added some berrymans b12 ? took boat back out now as soon as I put in gear boat dies out , took home after reading some forums decided to try to rule out what area may be the cause .. so I ran new lower fuel line from fuel pump with new primer bulb into new gas can with new gas/oil mix (no berrymans this time) to see if maybe I had a problem from fuel pump to tank some where by bypassing lower fuel line to engine disconnect to tank? took boat out still same problem dies as soon as put in gear ? BUT AT HOME RUNS FINE ON MUFFS ?I did notice this time at home the boat will die when left in neutral after about 15 seconds, if I don?t move throttle up a little to keep it from dieing , other wise runs fine at home ?.so im assuming now I have a problem some where between fuel pump and carbs .. ( I also did take fuel pump screen off and cleaned out it wasn?t dirt or ruptured ) , ? I really don?t think I need the carbs overhauled , just have a feeling its something simple im missing ?. Im not a boat mechanic by far but can do you basic stuff ?I feel I have one problem that just seems to have gotten worse over the time trying to figure out whats causeing this problem , so im kind of stumped right now and looking for any advise I can get

Mustang22

Recruit
I did take the fuel pump screen off is was not dirty or ruptured , I cleaned it out and put it back together ....do you think the whole issure is the fuel pump ? And is their a way to test it to know for sure if its failed ....i qas thining it might be also but seeing how clean it was made me think maybe not

toybuilder039

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well u can eliminate fuel pump by pumping primer bulb while it is running. If it stays running then rebuild fuel pump. I doubt that is your problem. If that don't fix it I would check each cylinder with spark tester.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
those are classic signs of plugged up carbs if you can get it to run and idle try some sea foam a long run may clear it up

Last edited:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I did take the fuel pump screen off is was not dirty or ruptured , I cleaned it out and put it back together ....do you think the whole issure is the fuel pump ? And is their a way to test it to know for sure if its failed ....i qas thining it might be also but seeing how clean it was made me think maybe not

The screen can be clean as a whistle if the diaphragms are brittle they won't pump fuel.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i have never used berrymans so i have no idea how effective it is but if it stands a chance of a additive helping sea foam is my choice

Mustang22

Recruit
**** update so took boat to the shop for diag .. found one of the switch boxes shorted out causing to run on 3 out of the 6 cylinders ***

fixed back on the water :)