On engine fuel injector cleaner

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2001 115 hp Merc (Yamaha) 4 stroke that has succumb to ethanol based fuel contamination (It is next to impossible to get anything but E10 in my area. It ran well for several years, but ...)

Has anyone tried the OTC 7000A fuel injector cleaner ? Opinions ?? With an outboard, all you should have to do is disconnect the fuel hose from the tank and stick it in the can. A few squeezes on the bulb and run it through.

Or should I bite the bullet and send the injectors out to be cleaned ?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Out of curiosity, what makes you think its ethanol contamination? What is happening? What sort of troubleshooting have you done? Have you been changing all your filters annually?

Amazes me how many think ethanol is this big bugaboo.

Last edited:

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Out of curiosity, what makes you think its ethanol contamination? What is happening? What sort of troubleshooting have you done? Have you been changing all your filters annually?
Okay, so let us just say I highly suspect "fuel contamination". From what I do not know.

Why do I think it is a fuel issue ? Sometimes the motor will "clear" and run pretty good, other time no. It also frequently stalls when you idle out of shallow water and give it some throttle, even slowly.

Yes, I have replaced the fuel filter.

Now back to the question I asked.

Has anyone tried the OTC 7000A fuel injector cleaner ? Opinions ?? With an outboard, all you should have to do is disconnect the fuel hose from the tank and stick it in the can. A few squeezes on the bulb and run it through.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Pull a sample of fuel and check for contaminants. Start with the simple and cheap things. Amazing how folks tend to suspect and replace the most expensive parts only to find it did not fix the issue. Try ANY fuel system cleaner if you think it's a fuel system issue. But ethanol is an excellent cleaning agent so I doubt fuel type can be blamed. Have you checked plugs when the problem occurs? Lost spark, water in the fuel are other possibilities. Do you have a water separating fuel filter?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Instead of that product, buy the concentrated chevron techron fuel cleaner. Both the one you are asking about and the Chevron both use PEA(poly ether amine) which is the best injector cleaner bu the Chevron has more of it and its cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Chevron-65740...on+concentrate

If you have contaminated injectors, its not the ethanol that is causing your issues.

Have you had the motor scanned for faults? For example, my engine was behaving poorly because the thermostat got stuck open and the computer was feeding the engine more fuel since it thought it was cold all the time.

Last edited:

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Try ANY fuel system cleaner if you think it's a fuel system issue.

Instead of that product, buy the concentrated chevron techron fuel cleaner. Both the one you are asking about and the Chevron both use PEA(poly ether amine) which is the best injector cleaner bu the Chevron has more of it and its cheaper.

I have run 2 tanks of fuel with Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner which contain 10-30% PEA along with 10-30% Naptha according to this MSDS with no improvement.