1969 Merc 40 4hp.

cielife

Recruit
Starts easy on second pull, runs well but quits in about 5 minutes, like it's a fuel problem, but then starts right back up again on first pull and runs well again for a few more minutes, then quits again. the water out the pee hole is not a full stream but seems to be spayed kinda, like the passage is partially blocked. I've replaced the points and condenser. the coil wires were corroded through on the positive and I soldered in a splice. It was acting the same way before I did these repairs. I checked the fuel bowl and float, didn't appear to be any problem there.

cielife

Recruit
since the spark was blue and the water issue was cleared up with a simple inspection, peehoe is just a hole in the bottom part of cowling, I'm thinking it's a pump diaphragm and I'm going to test this out by assisting it with the primer bulb.

tbh051407

Recruit
I had a similar issue on my 1966 Merc 110. The fuel pump diaphragm was wore out. Replaced the diaphragm and runs perfectly now.

cielife

Recruit
It started up easily one day, quit as per usual after a few minutes and started again, but the next day would not start at all. Checked the spark again, still very good. Opened the fuel pump and inspected the diaphragm and found not wear. It looked good, but there could be minor cracks I am unaware of. The check valves are what I am going to check next but I have already ordered the kit and will report if this fixes the problem. I will also recheck the point gap which I have set at a snug .18