Lower Gear assembly pinion broke in half

Drew220

Seaman Apprentice
The lower Gear assembly pinion broke yesterday while underway. Loud pop then the prop froze. I pulled the prop shaft and found the gear cracked in two. I never hit anything. Everything else looks fine in the gear case besides broken teeth. Could I just replace the gear assembly or should I go with a new lower unit.

Mines a 3 jaw unit so I'm having a hard time finding a entire unit that does not require changing to a 6 jaw.

Drew220

Seaman Apprentice
I think that's what I'm leaning towards. I spoke with a couple of boat repair places today and no one will really give me an estimate on a rebuild or replace unless I let them look at first. Looking at part prices online it look like a rebuild with labor will cost just as much as a entire new unit. Plus they told me it likely broke because someone had the idle sped set to high or improperly adjusted shifting.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and it does not look like to much work. Just unbolting a few bolts.

There also seems to be a lot of mixed reviews for SEI lowers. Bit a new OEM one would cost more than what the engine is worth.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The reason no one will give you a quote, they don't know what will need replacing. Most likely, every bearing, forward gear, reverse gear, and pinion, all the seals.

Drew220

Seaman Apprentice
Just to give an update.

I ordered a SEI lower unit and installed it last week. Was able to do all the work myself. The hardest part was installed the new 6 jaw shift shaft which required removing the power head and scraping the old gasket off. 4 hours on the new lower so far and no issues. Grinds a little going I to reverse though. Paint on the SEI lower unit could be better but hwy at least I'm back in the water.

I also installed a new sea star CH1700 remote control. So much better than the old command 3000.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just to give an update.

I ordered a SEI lower unit and installed it last week. Was able to do all the work myself. The hardest part was installed the new 6 jaw shift shaft which required removing the power head and scraping the old gasket off. 4 hours on the new lower so far and no issues. Grinds a little going I to reverse though. Paint on the SEI lower unit could be better but hwy at least I'm back in the water.

I also installed a new sea star CH1700 remote control. So much better than the old command 3000.

Glad you got it going again, Happy and safe boating. :thumb: