1976 Mercury 1150 Thunderbolt

Michael71

Recruit
I have a 1976 Mercury 1150 thunderbolt I purchased a few months ago. It has ran fine up to this point. Was having recent issues with it dying at idle speed but fine at higher RPM 's. Parked it in boat slip one night and the next morning it wouldn't start. It turns over and spitter sputters, but will not start or stay running for longer than 2 seconds, and does this till the battery is dead. Compression, fuel, and has new spark plugs and showing spark with a tester, but ... it will not run. Then I found that the stator wire coating has dry rotted to the point that both wires are touching and would be shorting out. Clearly the stator needs replaced, but would that wire short keep the motor from running?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A 1976 Merc 1150 will have battery powered CDI ignition. The stator is only used to charge the battery.

The wiring in those motors is about shot by now. I would look to see if any of those are shorting. You must have +12VDC on the white and adjacent red wires on the switchbox, for the motor to have spark.