9.8 Swivel bracket dragging on transom bracket

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've been working on an early 80s Merc 9.8 (Canadian S/N 7176164) and I've discovered that when turning the motor, the swivel bracket section that the tiller handle attaches to drags on the transom bracket. I suspect I'm missing some sort of spacer / bushing at the top of the swivel tube that would keep the swivel bracket elevated a fraction of an inch allowing clearance. I looked at the parts catalog but couldn't see anything obvious. Any ideas?

Attachments

• photo248814.JPG
    photo248814.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248815.JPG
    photo248815.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 0

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
What about your rubber engine mounts that isolate your engine (vibrations) from the transom. I think Merc used to call them dyna-float. If they sag from age and use, they could let the engine and things hard connected to it to sag and cause your problem.......maybe; never heard of it happening but who says it can't????? I know that two are about half way down the mid section, one on each side and as I recall another two up under the cowl.

AEROCOOK

No Title

It's interesting that you mention the rubber mounts, in fact the 2 lower ones were broken but were replaced earlier. I took a closer look last night and discovered that approx 1/8 inch of the swivel tube is visible (exposed) at the bottom mount point and by putting a pry bar under the power head I was able to lift everything up closing up the 1/8 gap on the bottom and opening it at the top. I think there must be a missing bushing at the top of the swivel tube that is allowing the motor to drop down a little bit.

Attachments

• photo248841.JPG
    photo248841.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248842.JPG
    photo248842.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
AEROCOOK, if you go to boats dot com and enter your engine's HP, year and even serial number, you can bring up every break down for your engine to see what parts go where. And that could help you figure out what part is either missing or deteriorated and needing replaced. I just went there and there is an upper bushing for that area. Take a look and see. :thumb:

AEROCOOK

Ever heard the expression "Cant see the forest for the trees"? Well it certainly applies here. After hours of screwing around, taking things apart and searching out parts diagrams on the net, I finally figured it out... The tilt pin was out. As soon as the pin was reinstalled the angle changed allowing the required clearance. I've been working on outboards for many years (albeit mainly OMC) and to be honest I'm a little embarrassed to admit to this simple mistake. Thanks for the help, I hope this post saves someone else some aggravation some day.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ever heard the expression "Cant see the forest for the trees"? Well it certainly applies here. After hours of screwing around, taking things apart and searching out parts diagrams on the net, I finally figured it out... The tilt pin was out. As soon as the pin was reinstalled the angle changed allowing the required clearance. I've been working on outboards for many years (albeit mainly OMC) and to be honest I'm a little embarrassed to admit to this simple mistake. Thanks for the help, I hope this post saves someone else some aggravation some day.

Well at least you found the problem and fixed it. We all make silly mistakes and that is because we are human. Happy boating though. :thumb: