Given an old Merc 500 HELP!!!

Ap904

Cadet
???------When the motor left the factory it had a telltale.--------If it is not working it is plugged or disconnected.-----Up to you to sort this out.

I most definitely want to get that stupid thing working. I'm just at a loss because there is no hose going to the tell tale port and i can't figure out how to hook it back up! Called a guy that said he will look at it for an hour ($90). This is a last resort. I'd rather figure it out myself.

Ap904

Cadet
Smoke is normal but the block should not get too hot to touch. It's also too lean because of needing choke all the time...dirty cabs(s) and/or air leaks. I haven't seen a sn like that.

Did notice white smoke shooting out of that cut hose.

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd replace that hose,as suggested above. I used a piece of yellow fuel line on my '73 9.8hp Mercury...previously purchased from a lawn mower shop. You can get similar fuel line at many stores. Try not to hurt the engine any more...ie running on gas and hot block...water pump impellers don't last more than 2 or 3 seasons and can also "take a set" if not used for long periods.

I don't like paying either but maybe that mechanic can help get things straightened out. You can try the other site too...many old Merc enthusiasts.

Last edited:

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class
that is a part # you posted. not the serial #. you need to get a water pump impeller MERCURY part #47-89983 T($15.00) in the lower unit. you could do it yourself but i would pay the $90.00 .get a service manual and read it ! before fooling around with it not hard just takes time to learn then when you get it out on the water you know what makes it tick. when it's right it will run like a top