1986 Merc 35hp Bogs down when given throttle.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
35hp Bogs down when put in gear, needs to warm up.

Went out today with the new 1986 Mercury 35hp. Starter wouldn't engage into the flywheel at first, but once lubed up it did. After that it ran good. Shut it off to fish. Turned it on five mins later and it wouldn't go into gear without bogging or shutting off. After a minute of letting it warm up at idle, it would be able to go into gear up to wot. Just seems that EVERYTIME I turn the motor off it needs to be warmed up before I can turn it on and shift to forward. Any help?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Try opening carb mixture screw 1/4 turn out....

Tried that with no luck. Basically EVERYTIME i **** the motor off even for a few seconds, I have to keep it in neutral, and rev it up in neutrul, sometimes it will bog down a first and it will die, others it will slowly bog a bit untill revising up again. Then I will put it in gear, and it will either shake a lot and bog down or it will go. There is a note blue difference in the sound when it is ready to go in gear, and when it is not. I also noticed when I kill the engine, there seems to be a leak in the water. Its gas but I'm not sure where it is coming from. I guess it's time for a carb rebuild, il try some seafoam first..... Is a carb rebuild a hack on these motors?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Hi, my motor keeps bogging down when giving throttle whenever I start it up, I basically have to let it warm up in neutrul and raise the rom lever more and more untill it sounds good. If I just shut if off, start it again and out it into gear, it will bog. Also I noticed gas dripping into the water the other day when I shut it off, I'm thinking its time for a carb rebuild? Anybody have much expire se in these motors? Are they a PITA?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Continuation of same motor problem, merged

Good luck getting your Merc running great

jbcurt00

Staff member
Upper right corner of your browser window, click user name, drop down menu lists
My recent posts

Or look at the recent posts in the forum you posted to. It was only half way down the page of Merc topics

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Upper right corner of your browser window, click user name, drop down menu lists
My recent posts

Or look at the recent posts in the forum you posted to. It was only half way down the page of Merc topics

Ohhhhh, I always just waited until I got a notification. Thank you :)