No crank with key

sheltonphil

Cadet
88 classic 50-45. No crank with key, choke clicks. Stater functions with starter relay jumped. Shifter in neutral position, new battery. Suspect some interlock malfunction?
Or I just don't know how to start an outboard.

sheltonphil

Cadet
Thx, remote. No t/t. Looked for it, don't know what it looks like/ where. Newbie to outboards, retired auto tech. Hesitant to just start dinking around blindly.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Follow the juice. Should have +12 volts on the "S" terminal on the ignition switch with the key in START. If not, likely a bad ignition switch since the push to choke feature triggers the primer solenoid so there is 12 volts up to the switch. If 12 volts at the "S" terminal, check for power at the starter solenoid (the terminal with the wire that comes from the "S" terminal on the ignition switch). No power with key in START says broken wire between switch and solenoid. If there is power to the solenoid, then the solenoid is likely bad. The neutral start switch is typically inside the shift control box. Wiggle the throttle/shifter while turning the key to START.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
You should be able to feel the neutral detent engage when you hit the neutral spot. Some controllers also have a neutral switch.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Hold the key in the start position and move the throttle handle to and forth. If it won't crank, either the ign switch is bad, the neutral safety switch is bad or the wiring is bad.

sheltonphil

Cadet
Thank you all for the tips. Question, the ignition switch has only two positions, off, on and pushing in activates the choke solenoid. Is that also the start mode? Wiggling the shifter proved fruitless. If it was an old car I'd look for a separate starter button to push.

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
you should have off, on and start on your controller, just like a car. Are you saying there is not start area on your key switch?

sheltonphil

Cadet
Correct. Just Off or ignition On (gauges power up). When pushed in the choke solenoid actuates. The throttle/shifter is feature less except for the detent bar on the underside of the L shaped handle.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
literally had this happen to me on the water yesterday for the first time.. not sure what it was. I pushed the harness plug together and it worked again.. i strongly suggest you getting familiar with the emgine / cowls and bits- cd really help on the water. fyi i was also shorting the darn solenoid for a while :p

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
But you said there was no START position on the ignition switch. How did that position mysteriously show up??

sheltonphil

Cadet
As expressed on a clock face. 12 o'clock is off, 1 o'clock is on. There is no further rotation. Pushing in on the key activates the choke solenoid. Question..is that also a start position?

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
As expressed on a clock face. 12 o'clock is off, 1 o'clock is on. There is no further rotation. Pushing in on the key activates the choke solenoid. Question..is that also a start position?

No that is not the start position. MOST outboards have the 3 position switch like a car. If you only have 2, then you will need to look for another starter button like you mentioned prior. Look at the starter solenoid and trace the trigger wire back to a switch. Or possibly your switch should have 3 positions and it has gone bad.
Its something simple im sure.

sheltonphil

Cadet
Replaced key switch asm. Starter switch now functions like an automobile. Next problem..no start. Fresh fuel/battery, plugs fire..no sign of fuel on plugs. Cyl's fire on starter fluid(briefly). No fire with or without choke. Fuel flows out of filter while cranking. It's as if both carbs are inop, which I doubt.

PS; thank you to all for the help. Without product knowledge old techs learn caution.

Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
1: Avoid starter fluid (ether in a spray can). It has no lube and there have been cases of the engine exploding.

While the engine exploding is rare... it can happen.

It is possible for both carbs to be gummed up with old fuel residue. One way they fail to deliver fuel is the floats get stuck up closing the float bowl fuel inlet.

Consider: both carbs are the same age, exposed to the same storage conditions with the same fuel. Whatever goes wrong with one is actually something you should inspect the other for signs of the same issue.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Are you holding the key IN while cranking? That's the choke/prime function.

Last edited: