Mercury 90-125 no power under load...not the common dirty carb fuel and/or stator issue...

bwguardian

Seaman Apprentice
Mercury 90-125 no power under load...not the common dirty carb fuel and/or stator issue...

I am trying to get my ole 182 Mako flats up and going. I purchased this hull some time back and have been restoring it. I removed all the wiring and fuel hoses...but did keep the battery cables given they run to the front of the boat for weight distribution purposes. I also installed all new gauges, switches, controls, etc. as well as cleaning the tank. I had a 2000 Mercury 90 elpto rebuilt and hung on the hydraulic jack plate. The engine ran good on the muffs but when put under load on the trailer and/or in the water it would not get over 1,800 rpms. The compression check showed 120-125 on all three cylinders. The prop on the lower unit is a 15" pitch but may be altered. We cleaned the carbs twice with no change. I checked the fuel system and there is no anti-siphon valve at the fuel supply on the tank. The tank vent is clear and working. We also rebuilt the fuel pump with no change. We bypassed the fuel water separator filter and primer bulb to a portable tank with no change. The battery is a couple months new with 1,000 cca; however, it won't hold a charge now so I had it tested yesterday and it is bad so I will be picking up another new one tomorrow. I think it may have gone south when we had an electrical storm. After it passed, I checked on the boat and the motor was trimmed all the way up and trim motor was still running...the trim motor was hot, so I disconnected the battery and let it cool. Don't know how this happened but it seems to function fine now.

We have since pulled the fully dressed power head and installed another fully dressed 2001 power head. The compression on all four cylinders were about 140 psi. This motor is doing the same thing except the maximum rpms it will make under load is about 2,100 rpms. Thinking the common denominator is the lower unit, and given the 90 utilized the 2.3 gear ratio and the 115-125 utilize the 2.07 gear ratio, we have another correct lower unit installed though the other seemed to turn freely and will be testing tomorrow.

It is odd to me that the 125 did make a little more power in the rpm range which is the reason for looking at the lower unit. At this point I am thinking the only other common denominator would be the engine harness from the motor to the controls and the battery cables. I purchased the engine harness from a friend that had a 2000 Mercury 200 on a Robalo that lost a cylinder. The kill switch looked like an aftermarket and must be bypassed given the motor cranks without the clip though the wires are still hooked up to it. The ignition switch is a new Mercury "push to choke" unit. I wouldn't think the binnacle controls or cables would have anything to do with this given I checked to make sure the throttle blades fully open. I did also install a Perko "on" "off" switch that I had, so not new.

Last edited:

bwguardian

Seaman Apprentice
Surely someone has some thought on this. The 125 wound up having issues so now the boat is sitting again. Looking for a mid 90's to mid 00's Mercury 115 or 125 engine...

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Was the 125 transitioning to 4 cylinders?
Was a link and sync and timing done?
Are the cables in good condition?
Is the control box set-up correctly you say it was used?

Last edited:

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Have you checked WOT ignition timing to make sure the timing lever was advancing with the throttle movement?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
15P prop is wrong for both engines and with that in mind, either engine with either lower unit should spin that prop easily to WOT. 17P was perfect for me albeit on a slightly shorter boat with a 75 HP Merc triple. Just because the throttle plates are open fully does not mean the timing is advancing properly with throttle opening. Link & Sync sounds like the issue on both powerheads.

bwguardian

Seaman Apprentice
Last edited:

bwguardian

Seaman Apprentice
15P prop is wrong for both engines and with that in mind, either engine with either lower unit should spin that prop easily to WOT. 17P was perfect for me albeit on a slightly shorter boat with a 75 HP Merc triple. Just because the throttle plates are open fully does not mean the timing is advancing properly with throttle opening. Link & Sync sounds like the issue on both powerheads.

It was checked, checked again, and re-checked. Was beginning to think it was something in the harness, rigging, wiring from the motor forward.

bwguardian

Seaman Apprentice
Update: The 125 developed a knocking/ticking noise and I just did not have the confidence in the 90 given I felt there may be issues with the stator relative to the draining the battery. The 125 was rebuilt from an engine that got hot and I suspect one of the sleeves had moved south causing the noise. I got my money back from the guy and have located a clean fresh water '99 Mercury 115 elpto that is down on one cylinder. I will be starting with this power plant and see if the issue remains when it is time to fire it up after the power head is rebuilt.