Merc outboard not charging

amosh

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I have a 1991 merc v-200 outboard, 2 stroke engine. Went to the lake and my battery was dead. Jumped it and ran it for a while, but when I stopped, it wouldn't start again cuz battery still dead. Got it running again, but will only read 9 volts on meter when I checked, no matter where I cheched. Don't think it is the stator because I can pull start it and it will run all day until I shut it off. Is there a regulator or rectifier that I need to replace or should I look somewhere else?
Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That motor has separate coils in the stator for ignition and battery charging. So the stator must put voltage into the voltage regulator, and the VR needs to be good to charge the battery. Charge your battery, and put a flusher on the motor. Locate the voltage regulator on the rear of the motor. Disconnect the two yellow stator leads and check them for AC voltage when the motor is idling on the flusher. If they do produce AC voltage, the stator is likely good. Check all VR connections to make sure they are clean. There is no good test for the Voltage Regulator, that is easy to run by us amateurs. Sometimes the VRs get burn marks that are visible, That is a good sign they are bad.

I would look for an aftermarket VR as OEM ones are $600+

amosh

Seaman Apprentice
sorry bout the long message interval, I got busy with life. just pulled the two yellow leads off the stator and tested between them. they are putting out 35 v ac across them. is that high? tested both between them and a ground, and there seemed to be no voltage to ground though. am I still looking at a regulator?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You likely have a bad Voltage Regulator. Are the rest of the VR wires clean and connected to the ground and voltage circuits?

amosh

Seaman Apprentice
Ya all the wiring connections were clean and tight. Time to find a vr I guess. Thanks