Waterpump replacement from aluminum to plastic

jboehm

Cadet
My original water pump is aluminum and I will be replacing it with a plastic upper and lower. Do I reuse the same screws that attach the top to the bottom? How is the lower pump housing removed? Do I remove the studs or will it slide up and over the studs? Any other tips?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Studs stay as they are. The pump base should pull out. I use a pair of flat blade screwdrivers to gently pry it out. Make sure the flush screw is removed first. If the studs show any corrosion, you can remove them and replace with newer style stainless ones.

jboehm

Cadet
No Title

I decided to work on it this week and found a few differences. My original aluminium top had an actual seal for the main shaft, the plastic doesn't have a seal of any kind for the main shaft. How does it keep the water from leaking out or is that okay? I think the book actually calls it a grease seal. How does the water tube connect to the pump body or does it simply slip inside and it isn't a water tight seal? The body has the space along side of it so i don;t see how it can seal. My new plastic upper pump body has some parts taped to the inside of where the water tube would be, but from the bottom. What are they for? In the picture you can see a thick ring next to the impeller, What is the thick ring for?

When removing the base I did remove the studs, just wouldn't come loose otherwise.

Attachments

• photo248940.JPG
    photo248940.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248941.jpg
    photo248941.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The thick ring is the pump housing seal that sits on top once the pump housing is in place. Acts as the seal like the old CR style seal did in the metal housing. It's more to keep stuff out that to keep the water in. I believe there should be a rubber grommet inside the pump housing for the water tube to seat into.

jboehm

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo248976.jpg
    photo248976.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248977.jpg
    photo248977.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248978.jpg
    photo248978.jpg