'85 Mercury 7.5hp gearcase oil around waterpump?

ianmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,
I was replacing the impeller in my motor a couple of days ago. I noticed some black gooey oil around the water pump as i was disassembling it. The pump seemed to be in good shape, as was the impeller, but i replaced that anyway.
I'm just wondering if that is unusual. It actually seemed more blackish, rather than the color of fresh geascase, or even the milky oil color of water contaminated.
I am going to check the lower unit oil to see if it is still clean(i just recently changed it), but wondering if it is possibly coming from somewhere else.
Wanted to check in before i started chasing things down.
Thanks!
Ian

tpenfield

Staff member
There is an oil seal right below the water pump that seals the gear case oil at the drive shaft that goes through the impeller and into the lower unit. I suspect that the seal is starting to wear out. You will probably notice oil getting into the water as you use the motor.

The seal is only a few $$, so maybe time to replace it. Since your engine is a 1985 model, it should have the stainless steel drive shaft, but do check the area of the drive shaft around where the seal goes to make sure it is smooth.

ianmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks! I will get the seal. I imagine in doing that i should replace the gaskets around the water pump as well