1995 Mercury 75HP 2 stroke reverse gear replacement

ricky127

Cadet
I took my pontoon out at the beginning of the season and had trouble with reverse. It would grind continuously but did back off the trailer. I took it out for the day and it did fine. I went ahead and replaced the shift cable as it was adjusted as far as it could go towards reverse. It did fine the next time out. I took it out last weekend and it started grinding again as I backed off the trailer. I guess the damage was already done to the gears. I read there is a clutch dog that will need replacing along with a reverse gear set. How hard is it to replace them and do I need any special tools or do I need to start looking for another foot. What years and horsepower gear cases will work? Thanks for any input!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nothing tricky about it.------Remove the 2 bolts that hold the bearing carrier and pull that out.---Then inspect the gear and clutch dog.-----I suspect it is a installation / adjustment issue.----No way that reverse can wear out during normal / proper operation.----Hardest part of this job is getting the nerve to start on it !!

ricky127

Cadet
I appreciate your reply. It is the original motor that came on it. I'll let you know how it goes!