Oil Injection System bleeding after replacing oil reservoir on 2000 Mercury 90 ELPTO

woodyct

Recruit
Had an alarm this past weekend on my motor and traced it down to the oil level float on the reservoir by disconnecting the oil float sensor wire which stopped the continuous horn alarm. According to the guy that usually services the motor, this pin pointed the problem to this sensor but plan on replacing the tank and sensor myself this weekend due to hassle of bringing boat to the shop and time required for service guy to get to it. I have a question about bleeding the oil system. I have a SELOC service manual that mentions oil system bleeding if hoses removed which includes the pump inlet hose, pump and outlet hose, but I assume the outlet side is only if you remove the pump or hoses downstream of the pump????

Under the section in the SELOC manual for replacing the oil tank they have a warning note that reads "Any time the oil tank hose is disconnected, the oil injection pump must be purged (bled) of any trapped air...." This leads me to believe that the downstream or outlet hose side of pump does not need to be bled?????

The outlet side of the pump bleeding process seems a little more involved than the bleeding of the pump and inlet side which is just opening the bleed screw and allow a continuous flow of oil.

Can anyone advise if my assumptions are right??? If not what is the process for running off a pre-mixed tank when the motor is normally running off an in hull fuel tank and not an external portable tank... disconnecting the onboard tank and connecting and running off the external fuel tank while still allowing the oil injection pump to operate and purge air out of the outlet hose????

Thanks