1988 Mercury 200 losing prime

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Think I got all the problems worked out on my 88 Mercury 200 and she's running great! Only thing going on now is that I have to squeeze the primer bulb every time before I start the motor. I expect to the first time taking it out but if I shut it off for 20 minutes I'll have to squeeze the bulb until it's firm again. If I don't it will run for about 30 seconds then die. I tried another primer bulb with no change. Within the last 6 months or so I've replaced all the fuel lines, rebuilt carbs and fuel pump. Don't see any fuel leaking or anything. Not really what could bet he cause or if it's even something to worry about. Thanks.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm thinking it's probably losing it's prime before the primer bulb- since it will run for a little bit then die if I don't squeeze the bulb. The check valve in the primer should keep it from draining back past there. Does that sound right? Maybe the check valve at the tank isn't working properly?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The primer bulb may not seal well, it's not uncommon, the arrow needs to point up for best results. An air leak anywhere could cause this, air leaking in doesn't mean fuel will leak out of the same place. Check the fuel line connectors, they can easily leak.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've checked over all connections and cant find any leaks. I replaced the primer bulb and it does the same thing.