2002 9.9 mercury 2 stroke running temp?

biggamefish

Cadet
What is the usual running temp of a 2 stroke 9.9 engine? I had a problem with the engine shutting down on me last year. Would run fine for maybe an hour then would just shut off. I couldn't start it back up untill 30 to 45 minutes later, then it would only run for 15-20 min and shut down again. seemed like it was over heating. I just changed the impeller last night and I noticed that one fin was going a different direction! Do the impeller fins change direction when you shift the engine into reverse?
I ran the engine for 20 minutes at idle and the highest temp I got was 125 deg. most of the time it was running consistent at 118. The thing I am worried about is the stream wasn't strong it was flowing out and fluctuated when you hit the throttle but nothing like my 50 Merc. Is there something else I should be looking at?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I would replace your thermostat it should open at 120 deg on that motor. The stream on that motor is determined by the thermostat as the elbow comes right off of the thermostat housing so you can get some fluctuation in the pee-hole. Impeller fins cannot change direction the drive shaft always turns the same way. Reverse is determined by the lower unit well below the water pump.