Need a seal for crankcase front cover replacement

tonysp

Cadet
SO after I replaced my a fuel pump diaphragm I started my 1982 merc 402 serial #6053549 my starter bracket attached to the front crankcase cover broke. Apparently one side was already broken. I see that the new one will be a PIA to do but I know where to go for answers. So could one of you knowledgeable boater help me find the part # for the seals I'll need to replace since I don't have a manual and not much info on the net.
Thank you

Attachments

• photo246487.png
    photo246487.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Not a good idea to replace just the crankcase cover. The block and crankcase are machined as a single unit, line bored down the center. Variances in manufacturing can through alignments off a few thousandths either way, making sealing a bear. Has it been done? Yes, I'm sure it has. However, it is best to replace the entire cylinder block as a unit.

tonysp

Cadet
Sorry have been away. That totally makes sense. I ordered one used in mint condition so I'll see if it works. Is there any sealent you recommend since I'm this far into it? Just taking things apart and hadvent cracked open the seal yet. I did get new gaskets for it too

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I use Loctite 518 Flange Sealant. Also goes by Gel Seal, and I believe Permatex has a version, too.

tonysp

Cadet
Ok. I' bought some at O'Riley's auto parts. My next question is what do you recomend for prepping the surface. Its in great shape but I want areal good surface so I don't have to do this chore again.