1984 35hp not starting after running out of water

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ran this engine for a very short time at full throttle and the engine made a pop and just shut off. The water was on correctly. Now the only way I can get it to start is if I put the throttle button in and have the throttle forward.

I checked the compression and that was normal. On the water it starts normally about 1/4 of the time. I'm trying to figure out if I can fix this myself or if I will have to take it to a shop. I was told it might be the impeller however I put a new one in and that didn't solve anything. I checked the lower unit and couldn't find anything. I've recently replaced the starter and solenoid so that shouldn't be causing it. Does anyone know how many things could be causing it not to start correctly?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You ran the engine full throttle while out of the water using a set of muffs?

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ya, and I don't see any fuel leaking out of the carburetor.

Click on New topic.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Not much info there to work with.

The impeller would have nothing to do with hard starting, not even sure why someone would tell you that.

The "pop" could be many things, some mean nothing and would have no effect, others could be major damage.

What is "normal compression"? The actual numbers are needed.

Why would gas be leaking out of the carb, and why would you be telling us it's not.

Why did you run it wide open, was there an issue you were investigating, and how did it run prior to doing this?

You said it's not starting, but then said it does start, just sometimes differently than before. How did it start before, and did this have something to do with why you ran it wide open?

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For what its worth it was the first time I've ever tried to run it at full throttle with the hose on and it didn't take long to blow. The engine prior to that had been running almost like new for about 5 years.

Out of the water I can't get it to start unless I put the throttle forward. On the water it will start normally about 1/4 of the time. When it won't start regularly I have to push the throttle button in and put the throttle forward in first gear to get it to start. I don't have the compression numbers now however both checked out normal when I checked them.

I'm just looking for a list of potential things that could be causing it not to start after it blew. Before I start to try to fix it or if I can't fix it take it to a shop. Since I haven't started the boat for about a year.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It appears to start very well, it just doesn't stay running for very long.

Tilt the motor down to the normal running position, many motors don't run well when tilted like that.

What happens when you push the key in again when it's dying?

Is this with the throttle advanced or at an idle?

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It will run normally after it starts that isn't the problem. It just won't start unless the throttle is tilted slightly forward. It will start normally about 1/4 of the time on water. I checked the compression and both were ok, so I don't think it is a compression problem. I'm trying to figure out what else could be causing this other than a compression issue.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Running on one cylinder. check the spark plugs for fouling

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
So in your video it was starting right up every time, were you shutting it off, or was it dying on its own? I'm a little confused at what I was looking at. Was this an example of it starting out of the water and working correctly?

Last edited:

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After watching a video on youtube.com, it may be running on one cylinder. I put new spark plugs in so I know that isn't causing it. If it is running on one cylinder and the plugs are new what needs to be replaced? Thanks

It was dying on it own in the video. when its on the water after I get it started with the throttle slightly tilted forward it does run normally. It does die out at the slowest speed and will die at idle.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Sound quality is pretty bad, but I'd almost say your idle speed is set too low. Might only need to raise it a hair. Idle should be set, in gear, in the water.

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've never set the idle, where can find instructions?

Last edited:

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I need to replace the coils. What's the best Mercury online part seller?

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What else could be causing it to start like that other than these three leads? Coils, idle speed, or running one cylinder?
iboats.com doesn't have the correct coil so that's why I'm looking for another online dealer. I'm wondering what other modifications or parts could get it starting like new again? Thanks for any suggestions.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Coils normally fail at high RPM's, so if it runs normally once it starts that's probably not the issue. To check, pull off each plug wire one at a time and see if you're getting spark. And once it's running you can pull off one plug wire at a time, if it dies instantly with one pulled off but not the other, then you've found the probelm cylinder.

You may also have some junk in the float bowl, this could plug a low speed jet and cause hard starting.

But again, it appears to start easily, just won't stay running and dies.

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If one cylinder isn't working, can anyone tell me how many things maybe causing it and how it can be fixed?

Thank you

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
With no info to work with the list could be a mile long. Is there spark on the cylinder that's not working?

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its out of commission as of right now however when I checked the compression both were at about 130, I didn't check the spark. I'm just looking for potential leads on what could be causing this so when I do get it started again I will have at least at few things to check before taking it to a mechanic.